Is it too easy?

Frank

But if your wanting to get into training (I had not realize you were a Gaylord)

that a good thing, you'll make more :001_smile:

If wanting to get into training makes me a gaylord then that's fine. If I can get paid to climb trees without dragging a saw up a tree. I also like the idea of teaching.

Those that can, Teach. Haha.

Whoever. I wouldn't just carry on blindly following the curriculum if you like. I want to show a keen interest in progression.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly my point. The current system seems gears towards almost appretiship type employment. Whereby the tickets are the provisional and the employer will follow the training on. Yet the current system allows people to do a minimal amount of training and go it alone.[/QUOTE]

But if it was harder and more expensive, they would just not bother with training and go it alone any way.

Now this is more of a healthy debate.

Could this be where insurance companies may get involved by not offering to insure or at least making premiums sky high for people that had maybe only got basic certs and were newly passed? Possibly? Possibly not. That way the public awareness could be raised up a bar or two with regards to insurance and proper training.

Maybe. Maybe not.

If wanting to get into training makes me a gaylord then that's fine. If I can get paid to climb trees without dragging a saw up a tree. I also like the idea of teaching.

Those that can, Teach. Haha.

Whoever. I wouldn't just carry on blindly following the curriculum if you like. I want to show a keen interest in progression.

My "Gaylord" comment was only a joke, Bob does training and is a top bloke:thumbup1:

Although I always heard it as "Those who can't, Teach, those who can't even teach, right a book" :001_tt2:

Frank, I think you would be better selling your taring on the skills you will teach them, skills that make them money, through more efficient working practice.

Driving instructors make money from teaching "advanced driving".

Maybe you could get the insurers to offer discounts to those who have obtained the advanced levels of training??

It's not down to me to do anything. I was just opening up a healthy debate on current training practises. See what you guys think.

To the guy who asked "who is going to pay for all this"? Nothing is happening, so the answer is no-one.

just let them all get on with it, if employers only employed skilled people or people with real potential, we would have a skilled industry. you cant blame nptc for muppets working, as a bigger muppet has employed these muppets imo!

the companys that do skilled tree work tend to have skilled workers to keep the companys reputation in tact. . .or they have people with potential working with skilled workers. these companys dont put up with muppets.

if you want to get into teaching darren, go for it, be the harshest examiner out there!

Lantra do training

NPTC do assessments

anyone can do a Lantra course and get a cert that says they have done a _ day course covering x y z even though they were crap and never got the hang of anything or even listened

The NPTC assessment is a proof of competency

which is generally required as PUWER states Qualified and competent

That was the big change after the blue book days as in blue book days you did a course and the instructor passed you and no one failed

P.s i have 2 blue books 1 for felling and 1 for climbing

NPTC's are too easy, and once got a complete novice tears around with a saw like a man possesed because hes "got the tickets to prove hes alright on a saw!" It frightens the hell out of me when i see some folk with a saw, young men and high powered tools do not mix well!

but we all gotta start somewhere, I didnt have NPTC's for the first 8-9 years of my career!