Nelly's back home

David Humphries

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see in the near future the HSE or Insurance companies stepping in and requiring a MEWP be used, where possible on any Tree that has to be removed because of a defect that could result in failure.

Why??????????

Can some one point me in the directing of the stats on all these trees that keep failing whilst being climbed?????????????:alberteinstein:

Why??????????

Can some one point me in the directing of the stats on all these trees that keep failing whilst being climbed?????????????:alberteinstein:

I don't mean definately failing when climbed, I mean if there is a risk of it failing whether it be 1% chance or a 99% chance.

Soon we are going to be a risk free society, all wrapped up in a big fluffy ball of cotton wool.

Oooh I can't wait, sounds nice dunt it Dave?

Accidents, what accidents??

You need to go to bed now, your burbling and it's way past your bedtime.

I'm off to bed now.

Dean, I've been wanting to ask about your avatar pic. How did that happen? I know it fell over, but what contributing factors were involved. I use mewps quite a bit and pictures like that gives me the willies.

I'll be really glad when MEWPS become compulsory, Because then I'll charge a fortune for climbing the Awkward trees.

FTR, I would have climbed that birch no problem - NOT THAT I'M ADVOCATING IT - but I would have been happy to myself.

Dean, I've been wanting to ask about your avatar pic. How did that happen? I know it fell over, but what contributing factors were involved. I use mewps quite a bit and pictures like that gives me the willies.

We were two up and coming down from 60ft, when we got to 45ft it just went over, no warning, no bleepers. Luckily we landed in the hedge that you can see, which saved our lives. The other side of the hedge is ten foot lower.

We set the machine back up and did the same manouver on the same leg spread, but this time we chained the machine down.

The machine tipped again to our surprise, again no bleeper. I looked at the two legs that were off the floor and the digital pressure read out was still showing 35bar in the cylinder.

The only way an hydraulic cylinder can have 35bar in it and not move is if there is the same pressure at the other side of the piston. Which I then established there was.

The only way it could have got there is to leak from the high pressure side ( the other two legs) through a faulty spool valve to the other side of the piston.

With pressure in the legs, the machine never cut out and just carried on letting us go out.

Scarey isn't it?

Don't want to scare you guys, but I will never trust one again and wherever possible, I find ananchor point in the tree and not on the basket.

I'm not into sueing, so I was happy to let the insurance pay for the MEWP and walk away with my life, I was happy with that.

my passenger suffered head injuries, three broken ribs, broken hand, broken foot and went into a shock induced fit.

Me being made of sturner stuff walked away without a scratch. :proud:

Don't want to scare you guys, but I will never trust one again and wherever possible, I find ananchor point in the tree and not on the basket.QUOTE]

Grey bits are a bit fuzzy this morning; Have you still got the RQG18?

Does the above mean you don't use it any more, or do you use supplementary anchors in the Tree/s whilst using the machine? :wave:

Dean

I need to know what machine that was. Did you hire it in or was it your own?

Once I have established everything is as it should be and I can't improve on the stability of the machine I trust the technology to take over. From what I understand from this accident I should not trust the technology at all!! Is there anything in retrospect you would have done differently? Other that not using the MEWP obviously.