Complete newbie - where to start?

Thea

The Askham-Bryan college have emailed me saying they've had a cancellation for their 5 day CS30 & 31 course and assesment in the middle of June and would I like the place. So how many of you think I should go for this and how many think I should wait?

Yeah I reckon that you should go for the cs units, having the experience on the ground for at least a year or two, build up your confidence with the saw, getting your maintenence right etc is all important. I wouldn't worry too much about the woodchipper units, most employers would rather the saw units. Tree companies usually have a high staff turnover so newbies are wanted and at least you'll have the satisfaction of a proper wage in your pocket!

I've just finished the RFS Cert arb by correspondence, hard going when you're working 40+hrs but cheaper and if you've done your Hort stuff recently you'd breeze the exam. Enjoy.....life is for living!!!

Thanks Rowan for the vote of enthusiasm! I did actually book to do the course today (they needed a quick decision 'cause other people also wanted the place) and now I'm actually quite excited. Can't wait to get started! Now all I need is for someone to offer me a job...

• 2 weeks later...

adansonia, the instructors and assessors at askham bryan are all top notch especially if you get dave Ford or colin olsen, they'll also give you the tricks of the trade which make life easier and they make the course fun even in the pouring rain so it all sinks in and you remember it all even ten years down the line like me.:icon14:

• 3 weeks later...