Anyone had this???

Lorry thompson

Done a job today lady wanted a cherry tree pollarded and a birch reducing, I explained how bad the cherry would look and how much I didn't want to do it but she wouldn't listen, the call was over the phone as she now lives down country I've done the job and her father sent her pics now she's saying I don't want to pay as it looks bad I explained I've done what I said a

nd what she said but she says I didn't think it would look like that then proceeded to say her husband is livid and "he's rough you know". They're obviously pulling a fast one but I don't know where I stand to get my money??? I said to her it's not like I don't know what I'm doing as she was impressed with what I done on the birch said it looks natural and untouched, the cherry looks that way because that's what she asked for, I even put a cheap price in because it's on my doorstep and she sounded canny sorry for the rant lads

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll send the invoice and see what happens the neighbours said he threatened a woman with a hammer for working on her house at seven pm and his wife says he's rough sounds like a set up for a free job to me I'm not scared of anyone and will meet this bloke anywhere he pleases but if it kicks off could it finish my business

We will always end up doing stuff we know is not right (we all have bills to pay) I have found jobs like this you need to cover yourself and get it down on paper and signed by both partys with alot of pics to go with it, always makes it easier to get paid when the client realises what a mistake they have made (not good info you know though but learnt the same way you have the question is do will you spend more time and money chaseing this up or save hassel and learn from it)

I was telling myself the same earlier mate was in the middle of moving at the time mate and she sounded genuine didnt send quote etc I know it's a learning curve but it guts me I'm professional and like to do a good job I don't even like doin pollards because it's not a good advert but she was so pushy I wouldn't be so wound up if she didn't try and scare me saying her husband is rough

There's not much you can do mate unless you meet up with them..

As it's all verbal it's a game of tit for tat..

You could possibly explain that thier lovley looking birch tree will be a good addition to you're firewood pile if they dont pay as agreed??

I know that's not the best option, but birch and cherry are lovley burning wood :001_smile:

You could also explain that if they wont pay for the works, they can have all thier chip/brash/arisings back and dump the lot on their front door step?

I'd box clever on this one, last thing you want to be doing is having a punch up, appealing though it may be. Send an invoice, then a final demand, then action in the county court.

You'll find most people deep down are scared of the legal system, and if they're not you can always have a punch up afterwards......

R

Just have a read through this, Problems with Builders or Tradesmen | Consumer Information make sure you've done everything by the book, as I'm sure an aggrieved client would take this step too. Btw I'm not suggesting by any means that you have done a bad job, but seeing it from the clients point of view may help.

Cheers lads good advice, I know what you mean andy I didn't send a quotation with this one was in the middle of moving and just done it all over the phone this is a valuable lesson I suppose. It has gutted me if she genuinly thinks I'm a cowboy but I do reckon they pulling stunts the neighbours said what they are like even her father mentioned something. You gotta laugh though when he's supposed to be really angry and really rough but he has to get his wife to ring up and tell me this