written off and ripped off !!!

i was unfortunate to have had one of my work truck written off about 5 months ago by a guy reversin into the drivers side of my Mazda B2500 , i called Accident Exchange and the promptly dropped me down a replacment vehicle and collected mine ! Three months later i hear back from them telling me that the third parties insurers were picking it up so that their enginer could inspect it !!! another month later i get a cal from Accident Exchange telling me that the truck has been writen off and that the third parties insurers are offering £2000 or £1600 pluss the truck back , i was clearly not hoppy with this as i can not replace the truck for what they are offering so i explained this to Accident Exchange and asked them to go back to the third party Insurer to explain this and ask them to review the settlement figure . Yet another month later i get a call (today) from Accident Exchange and they tell me that the third party insurer will not review the offer nor will they give me the 2k and truck back , i have explained that i can not replace the vehicle for what they are offering me.I know htat the truck is S reg and probably not worth alot but i cant replace it for what they offer and it has a greater value within the company . so i just thought i would ask you guys for some advice and see if you have any advice on dealing with such an issue .

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get on autotrader or other car sales sites/magazines and print off a number of replacements that are the same age/milage/condition within reason and send these to your insurer. This is proof of what they are worth (ish) and should be honoured by the company.

Get on autotrader or other car sales sites/magazines and print off a number of replacements that are the same age/milage/condition within reason and send these to your insurer. This is proof of what they are worth (ish) and should be honoured by the company.

Sounds like a plan to me :thumbup1:

How much can an s reg B2500 be worth tho?? No offence meant CTS, im just intrigued.

Just had a Landy reverse into my old Hilux. The guy says he'll pay for repair which I'm prepared to do myself as it's not worth bothering with insurance.

I tell him for £200 I'll replace the front wing, valance, bumper and paint. He then decides he wants to do it through insurance so I get a quote from an accident repair co. for approx. £1500 and the NFU now want to write it off and sell for salvage.

Have come to an agreement with them for the sum of £750 and I repair it myself but it now goes on category D.:thumbdown:

Insurance companies sare just bleedin thieves.:thumbdown: Had the same prob when someone wrote off my car, ended up with the car back and got it repaired.

They dont even take into consideration the time and effort it will take to try and find a suitable replacement. Plus (no offence) when buying an old vehicle you could end up with a ropey one when yours was spot on.

Where you in it? Ie injury compensation etc.

I'm sure Honest John, motoring expert in the Daily Telegraph, has stated in the past that you entitled to be put back in to the situation you were in prior to the accident and if the insurer is not prepared to do this you can go through the courts. Drop him a line at [email protected] - he answered my query in a few hours.

cheers for all the info guys , 2K is a reasonable offer however it will cost me more than that to replace it in cornwall and the costs of going out of cornwall make buying one up country pointles too . my issue is that even though the truck is old and has seen the best of its life i can not get anything similar down here for the money and certanly not seeing that its a commercial and i will have vat to pay . like i said to the insurer , this all happened because some fool was not paying attantion and went into me and because of this i now am faced with replacig a truck that i otherwise would not have had to replace !! but i do appreciate all you imput guys . will keep you posted on how i get on trying to beat the insurer failing that i will have to claim for some hefty unasured losses !!!!