Thinner rope?

BenR

This will probably get the same sort of response as the 'which harness' threads. But I am interested in some opinions... I have only ever climbed on 13mm rope, but I am considering getting a thinner rope next time.

Just wondered peoples opinions on the different thinner ropes out there..

Blaze? Poison Ivy? Imori? Tachyon? Is one better than the rest? or is there little noticeable difference between them? Do some have better abrasion resistance than others? Cheers :D

I am a bare handed climber. Most of my work is hazard prune and crown reductions. I rope walk and love my Lockjack to monkey around. and to date the best performing rope is the 11mm velocity. Low stretch, lite weight, feels good in the hands, smooth finish, ties well and blakes up for double crotching well, wears well. If it gets any bettter than this I'll be surprised.

The easiest transistion to thinner ropes would be one of the inbetween sizes such as Imori or Poison Ivy, rather than a true 11mm. I have used both of those as well as Blaze and Velocity and I'll never go back to 16 strand.

I loved the whole idea of reduced weight, less bulk etc., and 11mm moves around a crown really well.

For me, though, I found it too hard on my knackered old hands, and gave me a lot of forearm pain.

If you want to try before you buy and are going to Jonesies show next week I have 40m of Blaze, single spliced eye, little used that you can have.

If you like it you can send me the dollars (very good deal available!), if you don't you can post it back.

Let me know mate.

I've put that much weight on recently I'll be on 15mm soon....

I loved the whole idea of reduced weight, less bulk etc., and 11mm moves around a crown really well.

For me, though, I found it too hard on my knackered old hands, and gave me a lot of forearm pain.

If you want to try before you buy and are going to Jonesies show next week I have 40m of Blaze, single spliced eye, little used that you can have.

If you like it you can send me the dollars (very good deal available!), if you don't you can post it back.

Let me know mate.

I've put that much weight on recently I'll be on 15mm soon....

Thanks for the offer Mark. I would be keen to have a little play at the show but I dont really have the money to buy another rope right at the moment although I suppose it depends on how good a deal it is :laugh1: I need to earn money rather than spend it but I seem to attract stuff.

If your looking for a thinner diameter rope then id recommened an inbetween rope like Peter says.

I climbed on tachyon for years and its a really good light lowstretch rope. Ive recently moved onto poison ivy and the initial results are looking good. Plus its got a cool name!! haha.

As far as the true 11mm ropes such as blaze go,i found them just a bit too thin for me.

nowt wrong wiv blaze or velocity.

best thing is just to try any and all ropes you can. ropes do differ not just in performance affected by diameter, but also constructions and even manufacturer.

Also in price haha. Yea I need to pull my finger out and have a go I suppose. I would like to try Imori or Poison ivy as with my little knowledge they seem to be best of both worlds ropes..