Richard Dawkins- discuss

chris cnc

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a creationist.

The story about the cow-like creatures becoming whales is derived from an ancient Inuit legend. The funny thing is, its very close to the truth of how whales are believed to have evolved.....from cow-like ancestors.

To understand evolution you have to understand that modern humans are all descended from a now extinct species of ape. This one species was forced out of the forest about 5 million years ago and eventually learned to walk upright.

We humans are a very recent species. If the history of life on earth was compressed into a single year, humans would only make their appearance a few minutes before midnight on 31st of December.

I understand this Tim.

The only way evolution can work is over huge (almost to great for us to comprehend) amounts of time.

I thought from your comments that you were mocking the theory of evolution.

I understand this Tim.

The only way evolution can work is over huge (almost to great for us to comprehend) amounts of time.

I thought from your comments that you were mocking the theory of evolution.

I remember watching a documentary on this subject.

They reckon it can happen on a much, much quicker scale than previously thought.

Although I have no more info you can take it as Gospel.:laugh1:

There's a difference between (slow) evolution and (quicker) adaptation to sudden and/or dramatically changing circumstances.

Im sure it was evolution that they were researching but like a lot of things they could have been wrong.

adaption being mans asset, and why he has become a bloody parasite upon the earth!

Speak for yourself!!:laugh1:

Blame mother nature she created us therefore its her fault.:thumbup:

Its not only humans that destroy the planet.

I remember another documentry(:001_rolleyes:) this one by Sir David attenborough, so its gotta be true!

Anyway, a bit of it was about elephants, it was saying how they knock down trees so the grass can grow better which they then eat, ie they destroy a good bit of stuff and dont really care as its just for their own gain etc etc.

So elephants the first farmers, giving inspiration to man. But, hold on, before you book a one way ticket to Africa and break out the elephant gun or blunderbuss if you feel more eloquent, its not all the elephants fault, apparently.

He(SDA) reckons that its the grass's fault, rather than the elephant controlling its environment maybe the grass being tasty to the elephant has controlled the elephant to eradicate all competition therefore its in charge and the elephant a mere pawn.

So, the common or garden grass could be responsible for a lot more environmental damage than we care to imagine.

Look what we do to make way for it!

So my boring ramblings only mean only this, we aren't that bad, besides an asteroid could reign supreme at any moment.

Im sure it was evolution that they were researching but like a lot of things they could have been wrong.

Speak for yourself!!:laugh1:

Blame mother nature she created us therefore its her fault.:thumbup:

Its not only humans that destroy the planet.

I remember another documentry(:001_rolleyes:) this one by Sir David attenborough, so its gotta be true!

Anyway, a bit of it was about elephants, it was saying how they knock down trees so the grass can grow better which they then eat, ie they destroy a good bit of stuff and dont really care as its just for their own gain etc etc.

So elephants the first farmers, giving inspiration to man. But, hold on, before you book a one way ticket to Africa and break out the elephant gun or blunderbuss if you feel more eloquent, its not all the elephants fault, apparently.

He(SDA) reckons that its the grass's fault, rather than the elephant controlling its environment maybe the grass being tasty to the elephant has controlled the elephant to eradicate all competition therefore its in charge and the elephant a mere pawn.

So, the common or garden grass could be responsible for a lot more environmental damage than we care to imagine.

Look what we do to make way for it!

So my boring ramblings only mean only this, we aren't that bad, besides an asteroid could reign supreme at any moment.

I agree, and it was the legend of Sir David that first awoke me to the global domination by the grass family, probably the most successful lifestyle adaptation of any life on earth.:thumbup1: