Richard Dawkins- discuss

chris cnc

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course god doesnt exist Get a grip. Believe in a faith, but dont try to tell me or anyone else that there is a tangible being that is god. It is this sort of nonsense that is the cause of most of the strife in the world at the moment, evangelistic

claptrap. Any of you that are into christianity need to examine the origins of the faith (which on a world scale of faiths is a very recent one) and why and how it came about. You may then realise that you have been brainwashed. I fail to see, after having an upbringing of religion, and and years of studying theology)how anyone with a modecum of intellect can believe that christianity, or any faith, actually has a truth behind it. In fact if god was found to exist he would instatnly disappear in a puff of logic. If his existence was proven then the whole system of promises in thatafter life would fall to pieces. If you are so lost in life that you cannot believe in yourself and feel the need to have a greater reason for existence in a form of social control (again i urge you to examine the origins of christianity as a form of taxation and social contriol through fear) then go for it, just realize that it is founded in anything but truth.

Edited by Amelanchier
Attack the idea, not the people.

I will interject here to remind some of Rule 4 of Forum Rules:

4. No attacks, insults, or flames** - be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or whatever. This is VERY important. If you have a problem with somebody, do not flame them on our website. Take it somewhere else. No flaming of ANY kind is welcome here. The quickest way to get banned from our website is to break this rule. This includes public posts, group posts, private messages or contact methods supplied by the member of this site.

A persons religious belief is something they can hold very strongly, and of course others may choose not to share that conviction, it would be nice for this thread to be discussed properly without the need for further moderation. Thanks:001_smile:

Andy,

I appreciate that the role of the moderator is not an easy one and involves a bit of tightrope walking, but the sub title of this forum states;

''discuss anything from religion to politics...''

- it's well nigh impossible to discuss either of those highly contentious subjects without treading on someone's toes.

As I say, I don't envy your task.:001_smile:

Of course god doesnt exist Get a grip. Believe in a faith, but dont try to tell me or anyone else that there is a tangible being that is god. It is this sort of nonsense that is the cause of most of the strife in the world at the moment, evangelistic

claptrap. Any of you that are into christianity need to examine the origins of the faith (which on a world scale of faiths is a very recent one) and why and how it came about. You may then realise that you have been brainwashed. I fail to see, after having an upbringing of religion, and and years of studying theology)how anyone with a modecum of intellect can believe that christianity, or any faith, actually has a truth behind it. In fact if god was found to exist he would instatnly disappear in a puff of logic. If his existence was proven then the whole system of promises in thatafter life would fall to pieces. If you are so lost in life that you cannot believe in yourself and feel the need to have a greater reason for existence in a form of social control (again i urge you to examine the origins of christianity as a form of taxation and social contriol through fear) then go for it, just realize that it is founded in anything but truth.

Tommer, do you care to expand - where did christianity come from?

If you can include your sources in your reply that would be helpful.

:001_smile:

Andy,

I appreciate that the role of the moderator is not an easy one and involves a bit of tightrope walking, but the sub title of this forum states;

- it's well nigh impossible to discuss either of those highly contentious subjects without treading on someone's toes.

I think the guiding principle has to be "discuss the idea not the individual".

I hate these threads. They never achieve anything except the bountiful proliferation of bad vibes.

Andy,

I'm just reminding people of the rules, as I've seen how previous threads in this vein turn out. Of course you are all free to discuss, but we mods have to ensure no-one is offended too. As you say, a bit of a tightrope walk, whilst juggling fiery balls blindfolded:001_smile:

I hate these threads. They never achieve anything except the bountiful proliferation of bad vibes.

Tony, I know what you mean, but Tommer says he has done years of studying theology. I'd be really interested in hearing his sources on where christianity comes from.

Hopefully this can be done in a tactfull and sensitive way.

I personally don't want to debate the existence of god one way or another on here, but I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting reading material.

:001_smile:

I think the guiding principle has to be "discuss the idea not the individual".

Ditto.

As a "believer" that is happy to share my beliefs when asked, I have always found internet forum threads about this subject lead nowhere except to annoying/offending people.

For that reason, I'm out.:biggrin:

Edited by Paul Barton
sp