Richard Dawkins- discuss

chris cnc

great post mike

Yup you put down my thoughts in a much more eloquent way than I could ever write.

I can understand Dawkins theories but as has been stated he is extremely evangelistic in his approach. Even to the point radical.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some points:

1) Darwin didn't write or publish anything along the lines of the "theory of evolution" but rather "The Origin of Species". On his death bed he confided that he no longer thought he was right.

2) Evolution has repeatedly been confused with adaptation in this thread.

3) Note to Bible Bashers!!! 2 Quotes for ya!

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching.

Francis of Assisi

Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.

Francis of Assisi

On a lighter note, this topic reminded me of a clip I saw of George Carlin which is a more light hearted but interesting take on things.

Theres a bit of strong language as a heads up - if its an issue feel free to delete my post Steve / Mods.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM]YouTube - George Carlin The Ten Commandments Broken Down[/ame]

Some points:

1) Darwin didn't write or publish anything along the lines of the "theory of evolution" but rather "The Origin of Species". On his death bed he confided that he no longer thought he was right

This old chestnut again, started by fundamentalist American evangelicals. I suppose you also believe Fox News' strapline about being ''fair and balanced'':laugh1:.

A year ago a friend of mine was diagnosed with a brain tumor, I get over there to see him about once a month and have watched him slowly deteriorate. Now crippled, unable to walk or feed himself, difficulty swallowing, has to wear diapers.

But when he manages to talk you realise that his mind is still fully active.

If there was a god, then it would have to some kind of sick monster to do this to a person.

Why do people insist on trying to convert each other?

As an ex-believer, I would try to enlighten people because, religion can and does ruin lives.

I grew up knowing a lovely girl who was great with kids and loved baby's, she is now a missionary and had has put off having kids till "the new system" (the paradise JW's believe is coming) It breaks my heart when I think of all the joy she has missed out on.

IMO, Dawkins is 100% right when he calls religion a "virus", I was infected and I remind my kids on a regular basis how lucky they are that me and my wife broke the chain and saved them from it.:001_smile:

It fascinates me the creationist use the complexity of life as an argument for god, saying its too well designed to have come about by chance.

BUT, surely the creator must be even more complex and well designed, so where did he come from??

This is a serious question and I would love to get a better answer than the usual, "he's always been there"

It seems creationists think evolutionists are crazy for saying something as complex as a tree had no creator, yet they believe the most complex thing in existence had no creator.