Land Rover Winch

liamjordan

Ah was using my winch today....the only way to go is pto or hydraulic.........elec lasts for about 3 mins on continued heavy pulling, i ve been on lots of offroad sites where 4 elec winches are all burned out and i turn up with the pto and winch out no problems first time........ i winched myself half a mile on a really bad section once, no stopping to cool down!!! ive had this winch on 3 land rovers now as well....bargain!!!

walesoffroad009.jpg

childisharticlepics001.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with logrover- the ultimate is PTO, closely followed by hydraulic. Elec winches will NOT take hours of constant abuse. When i described how i was using my x9 to superwinch, they said for dragging dead weight they would advise MAXIMUM 5 second pull with a minute in between pulls!!!!! I sold it and went PTO.

If you hunt around you can find pretty good ones for under a grand. I got mine from a small landy dealer who had taken it off a breaker, and paid £700. The uj's in the drive shaft were pretty ripe, but other than that it was cool. Quite often they do come up cheap but you have to watch that the hexagonal section at the front end of the prop shaft isnt missing...

If you hunt around you can find pretty good ones for under a grand. I got mine from a small landy dealer who had taken it off a breaker, and paid £700. The uj's in the drive shaft were pretty ripe, but other than that it was cool. Quite often they do come up cheap but you have to watch that the hexagonal section at the front end of the prop shaft isnt missing...

yeah thats a little out of my price range for now, that winch of mine only cost just over £200, 12000lb jobby too, havent had any problems with it yet.... touch wood :001_smile:

Good deal i reckon. You have so much power there. I had to replace solenoids four times in a year i think, but my winch was only 9000lbs, and it was pretty early days for me, so i was getting logs that had lain across a stream or in the mud for years from around the farm and neighbouring farms. Dragging logs around the yard was never really problem for it, and you can usually roll them too, which puts almost no strain on the winch anyway. I reckon youll get a few years service from it mate.

Good deal i reckon. You have so much power there. I had to replace solenoids four times in a year i think, but my winch was only 9000lbs, and it was pretty early days for me, so i was getting logs that had lain across a stream or in the mud for years from around the farm and neighbouring farms. Dragging logs around the yard was never really problem for it, and you can usually roll them too, which puts almost no strain on the winch anyway. I reckon youll get a few years service from it mate.

yeah its alright, brand new aswell :001_smile:12000 CTA 12V Winch not a big well know make like warn, unbranded pretty much, didnt want to spend loads on a comp winch as i just wanted to try a winch out.

sounds great! bet you had some fun! :thumbup:

Yeah we've got a "cant hook type thing" that we use for rolling big logs tried it with this winch and its great! basicly imagine the cant hook off a felling lever, made out of inch think scabby old rusty steel and about 12 - 15" long, great thing to have in your kit, i'll get a pic of it :001_smile:

what winch did you get? looking at getting one for my truck.

12000 CTA 12V Winch

its pretty cheap, well its on offer, but the origonal price is pretty cheap still, used to be just under £300, they have just changed their whole website layout and it doesnt say now

i wouldnt rely on it for proper off roading, like what i do with it seems fine, winching a few trees, rolling logs, moving timber, pulling the landy out on occasion, so its not always doing heavy pulling, and i dont need it to :001_smile:

the picture on the website really doesnt do it justice, as you can see from the pics i've posted it does look a lot better in real life and is a look more robust than it looks on the site, its a good package, comes with winch, isolator switch, wireless remote controll and cable control, wire cable and hook, steel fairlead, and battery leads, but if you have a landy remember you'll need winch extension cables as the batterys under the seat, i got mine off the same site

2 x 3m Battery Extension Leads but i think they have gone up in price :confused1: i'll see if i can find the invoice

:thumbup:

Edited by liamjordan