A couple of jobs I finished today

openboater

Thanks David, all the lettering was done with the saw in the picture:sneaky2:

It's a Husky 141 with a 12" Cannon carving bar & 1/4 pitch chain. The outer radius on the smaller letters is just a bit greater than the radius of the outer edge of the teeth on the chain.

Holding the saw at 45 degrees to the wood and rolling the tip using your wrists gives a controllable curving cut . With such a small bar tip there is very little chance of kick-back, I wouldn't try the same thing with a standard bar.:thumbup1:

• 4 months later...

I love your bench. I'd spray the lettering in with a good long lasting enamel "Black", "Dk. Brown", maybe even "Red" then, take a Belt sander and some 80 grit paper and sand the surface back to a smooth natural wood finish. Seal it with a good popular outdoor product in clear. You'll be surprised at the dramatic effect that has.

I've only ever bought carving bars when I go to the APF shows, 1 every two years makes it a fairly low cost hobby. I get them from Dougie Bennet, he's from Tavistock I think, in Devon. The sprocket came from him by mail order as it wasn't something he had with him at the show, that was 4 years ago.

To be truthfull I'd carved a few things with a little Dolmar and a standard 13" bar + chain before I even found out that carving bars existed.

Why not make a start with what you've got, it doesn't have to be intricate work to be satisfying or fun.

I'll try and find some pics of stuff I did with the Dolmar, I'll add them on to here soon if I have some.