880 and sawdust

Cracker

Has anyone tried these from Baileys?

Bailey's - Max-Flow Air Filter Kit for Stihl 084

and they also do these

Bailey's - Air Filter for Stihl 044, 046, 066, 088, MS 440-880

I may get a few in to try next time I order from them. Looks like in the first one you have to replace the cover. Can't see how it would increase air flow that much but like all these things worth a try!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, only just found this thread!

Dust behind the filter is not good in any amount, so for those who think its acceptable, its not. Try and sort it out as it WILL reduce the life of your saw!

Heres a link to a thread i started some time back if its of any interest. Not sure if the part numbers the same though;

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/8589-ms660-ms460-air-filter-upgrades.html

Amen to that!

Has anyone tried these from Baileys?

Bailey's - Max-Flow Air Filter Kit for Stihl 084

and they also do these

Bailey's - Air Filter for Stihl 044, 046, 066, 088, MS 440-880

I may get a few in to try next time I order from them. Looks like in the first one you have to replace the cover. Can't see how it would increase air flow that much but like all these things worth a try!!

Rob, the second link pic looks exactly the same as the one I got from ebay.

BUt the stihl HD system is great, and I CANNOT notice any difference, and i first used one in '99 and the saw is still going strong:confused1:

Maybe it wasn't the Stihl HD system I had then... the inside sponge didn't fit well so may not have been a genuine HD Stihl.

But have you tried the saw with a standard filter Tom? and then changed to the HD?

so a better filter giving cleaner air made the saw wear out quicker?

I think it did !!! it is like running a saw with a blocked filter flat out all the time,the bottom end became vey loose,saw didnt really want to run at all.. unfortunietly the saw got stolen before i could see just how long it was going to really last but a few months on that filter imo didnt do it any favours!!if they were that great surely they would be fitted as standard.

Maybe it wasn't the Stihl HD system I had then... the inside sponge didn't fit well so may not have been a genuine HD Stihl.

But have you tried the saw with a standard filter Tom? and then changed to the HD?

Yes- i have the standard one for non milling use (which is most of the time) and fit the HD one when milling. It has a sponge, a different coloured plastic body, and a felt thing to go on the outside:001_smile:

In fact, ill dig it out and get a pic. It does have stihl written on it too.

i am more than prepared to believe that i am too much of a dunce to notice any lack of performance mind you:blushing::biggrin:

Ok, call me what you like here, but if you are noticing differences in performance when changing filters, you ought to be re setting carbs also.

IMO, there is no need for two filters if you are milling. If you mill, put the HD filter on and set the carb accordingly. It will not go to waste for general use.

I would like to add, my 660 had standard filter on it and not milling would still get dust in the carb.

I feel its more of a design issue with Stihl, but i doubt they will accept that, so, i would say if you notice dust on the inside of a standard filter change it to a better one(regardless of use), set the carb and clean it according to the conditions. Simples:thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

have had the same problem. i switched to a HD filter and the saw just cut out. so i now use the HD filter but with no "sponge". the filter and felt cover work perfectly.

all i hope is that the dust that did get in before has not done to much damage. there was me thinking German engineering was the best.