baz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firewood Sales

Quote.

BATCH CURRENTLY SHIPPING - Species

Comprises Ash, Cherry and Chestnut hardwoods.

BATCH CURRENTLY SHIPPING - Rating

Probably the best we have ever seen across multiple artic trailer loads. All clean wood with the majority of the batch white ash. Moisture QC checked at 7% to 18% and cleared to retail. :lol: Top quality BS there.

Whereas many suppliers of firewood are only too happy to supply sub-standard and poorly seasoned wood; particularly arborists disposing of their waste timber as firewood, we are not. At Firewood Sales, our hardwood is sourced only from renewable coppice where planned clearance and thinning is undertaken as part of the woods management. We do not source diseased or rotten wood, the byproduct of arborists that is often processed as their low quality firewood. All of our processed logs are seasoned indoors within our large 0.4 acre barn. Seasoning of firewood is important to minimise spitting on open fires, tar build up in chimneys and to maximise the heat delivery. Heat is lost generating steam when burning wet wood. Seasoned wood would ideally be around 15% moisture but in every instance should be below 20%; unseasoned wood will typically range from 25% to 50% moisture dependant on the species.

Our logs are processed to a standard cut length of 25cm though the size of a small proportion will vary dependant on the length of the final cut. We also split larger logs from rings (from trunks that are too large to be process cut) into logs ranging from typically 25cm to 40cm; suited to larger stoves and open fires.

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

As a "newbe" to firewood, i would say you need to set off to a good start. Not the way to build a good reutation IMO!

Strange though, how at the beginning of the thread Baz praised the help, support and information he has received from this site, but at the same time is slating the very same people/profession in the web site.

Very low:thumbdown:

How anyone can sell leylandii for firewood astonishes me. I took a bit off the burning stack on the estate about 12 months ago (12 inch plus rounds) and split and stacked it. Probably in the region of 2 cubic metres. It doesn't burn well and it constantly oozes resin, meaning you need to lather your hands in Swarfega each time you stock the fire.

That said, if anyone can ever make a decent product from the stuff, they would be millionaires in no time.

Back on topic, it's remarkable how much the price of firewood varies up and down the country. I only sell a bit (30 cube a year, tops) but generally get about £60 a cube. Lot of firewood available up here though.

Jonathan

It's always good to observe a debate in progress but this thread ended up well of on a different and quite personal tangent that I really can't be moved to comment upon in open forum. So to hopefully close it on a upbeat note with a recap, it is a positive message for those who are able to read that in it. Pricing is key to profits and a modest 10% increase will usually double your money for those who talk about money in the proper terms of profits. If you have a good product to sell and a good service to back it up then why not price it accordingly. Thats effective marketing at work.

I've had positive customer feedback and more is shipping this week, all into Staffordshire so far, which is a surprising result for the middle of July so I know I'll be able to move as much as I can be bothered to produce at a price others may deem inappropriate which translate to their loss rather than my gain.

Pricing feedback should always be encouraged especially for those toiling away at £35/cube locally. They could probably get a better price than that selling LGV loose log loads wholesale to others around the country who command a firmer price which would reduce supply to their local area and in turn push up their local prices. That would be a group working together for everyones benefit in terms of cash profit.

It's always good to observe a debate in progress but this thread ended up well of on a different and quite personal tangent that I really can't be moved to comment upon in open forum. So to hopefully close it on a upbeat note with a recap, it is a positive message for those who are able to read that in it. Pricing is key to profits and a modest 10% increase will usually double your money for those who talk about money in the proper terms of profits. If you have a good product to sell and a good service to back it up then why not price it accordingly. Thats effective marketing at work.

I've had positive customer feedback and more is shipping this week, all into Staffordshire so far, which is a surprising result for the middle of July so I know I'll be able to move as much as I can be bothered to produce at a price others may deem inappropriate which translate to their loss rather than my gain.

Pricing feedback should always be encouraged especially for those toiling away at £35/cube locally. They could probably get a better price than that selling LGV loose log loads wholesale to others around the country who command a firmer price which would reduce supply to their local area and in turn push up their local prices. That would be a group working together for everyones benefit in terms of cash profit.

You've sold one bag & are giving us advice, thank you for that fascinating insight into our cultural differences:thumbup:

lindisfarnecharcoal, you are clearly a shoot from the hip kind of person. Please do take time to read the article I posted before commenting to ensure you have your facts up to date.

Edited by baz

You've sold one bag & are giving us advice, thank you for that fascinating insight into our cultural differences:thumbup:

think you need to either chill out.

the guy is doing nothing wrong,, he merely posted on his efforts to sell logs at a good rate and i for one congratulate him,, you are not being forced to read his thread and you are not being forced to sell your wood at the same price,

your posts are nothing short of trying to bate a fellow poster and i think you should move along...:thumbup:

Edited by Steve Bullman
ahem