Helping new members

Andy Collins

Hi

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, but I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to with Google and the people on here clearly know what they're talking about.

Basically, I'm having an extension built on the back of the house. In the middle of the garden is a TPO'd oak tree (thriving and lovely). The RPA is 9.6m. The area in which we are building is well within this 'area' however the base of the tree is 2 metres below where we're building and the site is at the top of a steep bank. In other words, if you imagine a set of steps, the base of the tree is on step one and we're building on step ten.

We've just spent a small fortune on having piling foundations (and various other measures) in accordance with a report we had completed prior to planning. However, the building regs chap came to visit when the ground had been cleared and could see no good reason for the piling as there were clearly no roots in the area and no prospect of interfering with the tree given the height differential.

Do tree roots grow upwards?

Were these measures expensive overkill?

Many thanks for your help

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, but I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to with Google and the people on here clearly know what they're talking about.

Basically, I'm having an extension built on the back of the house. In the middle of the garden is a TPO'd oak tree (thriving and lovely). The RPA is 9.6m. The area in which we are building is well within this 'area' however the base of the tree is 2 metres below where we're building and the site is at the top of a steep bank. In other words, if you imagine a set of steps, the base of the tree is on step one and we're building on step ten.

We've just spent a small fortune on having piling foundations (and various other measures) in accordance with a report we had completed prior to planning. However, the building regs chap came to visit when the ground had been cleared and could see no good reason for the piling as there were clearly no roots in the area and no prospect of interfering with the tree given the height differential.

Roots go where the water is basicly

Hi

Hello there, tough questions, but a bit more info might help; soil type,(which can change from one type to another on sloping ground), what professional body, ( no names) supplied the report.

On ground that slopes, piles are at times recommended due to soil conditions not appertaining to the effect of trees, or to both if deemed to have an influence.

Tree roots will travel uphill on a slope, to support the tree & remain in the upper levels of the soil, as they require moisture & nutrients found near the surface. Some clay soils are prone to shrinkage & expansion,often a seasonal effect. Sandy or ballast based soils are prone to slip & erosion on an incline,& often this will merit piles.

This will most likely get moved to another section of the forum where you will no doubt receive a more informative response, with questions relative to your circumstances.

Welcome to Arbtalk, & I look forward to reading further responses.:001_smile:

how do you become a senile member .....do we have to pee ourselves and smoke a pipe...........done the first...can i advance now

A "senile" member:lol: think you need a Parker Knowl chair, a stannah chair lift, zimmer, tartan slippers and matching rug and a liking for hanking baskets:lol: Try turning your predictive text off:thumbup:

By the way, a few of us on here are senior despite the number of posts:blushing:....just call us grumpy old farts!

• 2 months later...