How to make a dog swim!

18 stoner

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you get another dog who is totally fearless around water and get them to swim together?

That worked for one of our dogs.

Now you cannot keep 'Kimba' out of the water. Here she is doing a body slam dive into a cattle pond chasing the stick!

IMG_0123.JPG.76b9e6ca7aff74487db92c86e6ce5e79.JPG

It looks like i need to be more patient!

At the moment she is only 4 months old so still lots of time.

As you have all said i think the best way is encouragement, and definately not to rush her and scare her.

She actually is retrieving well, likes the water(goes after the fish at home!), just very reluctant to retrieve from the water!

I do have a mate whos got a dog ours are familiar with and swims a lot, but he lives 15 miles away.

The thought of me wading into water upto my nuts at this time of year is a bit scary..... but i guess thats why the dog is reluctant to jump in, especially for the first time!

Guess its just time, cheers:icon14:

It looks like i need to be more patient!

patience is the operative word here. And lots and lots of it!

The thought of me wading into water upto my nuts at this time of year is a bit scary.....

Don't blame you :ahhhhh:

Hi, i train gundogs (spaniels) and the only way to introduce a dog to water is very slowly,maybe wait till the pup is a little older about 6 months, the dogs confidence will have grown,then start throwing a stick or ball in the shallows and maybe even get your waders on and get in with it to coax it in, but never never lose it and throw the dog in, could put it off for life, neither would i recomwnd the hosepipe, hope it all goes ok for you.

mine hated water tried every trick i could think of basically it comes down to trust the dog needs to be shown its ok in the water try waders if you don't want to get wet but the way ifound worked was to get the dog to follow off the lead and then take her a bit further out till she was swiming

only thing is she'll go in any water now as my next door neigbour found out off the tow path (3ft above canal) through the ice panic ensued but at lest she'll swim now

Was wondering how to teach my new spaniel "Totty" to swim had asked a few mates but in the end didn't need to worry. Whilst beating on our local shoot she saw a bird go down in the reservoir and to my initial horror did a 30 meter retrieve from the bank. Oh well !

My old boarder terrier Grommit can't swim. Unfortunately he forgets this fact now and again usually just long enough to get well out in some discusting smelly pond from which he requires rescue! His litter brother Wallace is fine with water and loves it apart from bathtime !

• 2 weeks later...

One step further, got Pip to swim a little the other day. This pic is as far as she went, note she was nearly under water infront of snoopy!

pipabigailwork21508003zb3.jpg

Seemed to be going well that day, trouble is ive been to the river another couple of times since and she wont swim!

Looks like im going to have to get wet!