rot iron tree guard removal

Stephen Blair

hi guys, i have some old fasioned tree guards to remove off some trees, some are just unsightly and some are strangling the trees in my opinion. The only species affected health wise are the sycamores, i think they have had a diferent type of guard, more of a band lower down. Here are some pics of an unhealthy sycamore and the rest are of sycamores already on decline, dead and the roots of one that has already fallen over. any advice welcome as i plan to just take a stihl disc saw to them, remove what i can and try and take the tension off the others BUT is there anything i should be aware of:confused1::001_smile:

5976573e3db71_ardgowantrees020.jpg.7df4275fa6948f4a1cb953d1b1a9a015.jpg

5976573e3be3e_ardgowantrees021.jpg.ad9ab0ecd091c2a4bc8932316f006bab.jpg

5976573e387e8_ardgowantrees019.jpg.c9b9e59b862b81f328b67691839e565c.jpg

5976573e35834_ardgowantrees016.jpg.c5aa5d7b610e02fdc624964f4b42eada.jpg

5976573e3176b_ardgowantrees015.jpg.9fa8f245ee8319291d3da4dc7a1e71b4.jpg

5976573e2daa2_ardgowantrees013.jpg.8d769d7ffef0e691eda5fbdda14933e0.jpg

5976573e280c7_ardgowantrees014.jpg.b447ca54a6d2dfaf53c9f9ca3b884f7b.jpg

As you mention the tension could be a problem, it's worth being aware of what direction the spark stream from the stihl saw is directed as it could create a quite a bit of heat which could cause more damage. Some of those trees however may already have deeper damage and will always have a hidden weakness - could be interesting if you are felling and relying on hinges

Edited by Gareth Dalzell

Are you removing the guards prior to felling or trying to save? If the latter are they really worth it? Some are enclosing around the steel so it will eventually become a failure point in the future. IMO fell replant with something better than sycamore.

Compression would be the main worry from cutting them free.

Looking at pic 3, I'd be concerned by the adaptive growth on the metal hoop on the upper part of the guard. The tree may have configured it's growth to make use of the support provided by the guard, so that there will be a weak point created in the tree stem, below the hoop as soon as the guard is removed.

Obviosly as you say they are 'unsightly' your remit is to retain the trees. take the tension off the encircling bands after removing the cage uprights,the later maybe with bolt croppers to avoid the potential of trapping a disc,and gives you more distance from them if they go 'ping'.

On the bands themselves,maybe a 4inch grinder to allow better access to the iron and minimising damage to the trees, you might need a 240 genny to use the small grinder,but hey,take a kettle & tea bags too!

sorry guys, the trees are staying should of made that clear. Sycamores are known as pests usually but these trees are policy trees, wide open spaces with grazing cattle underneath, i will take some pics of some of the monster sycamores, they are twice as wide as they are tall, awesome i think. i am only removing the iron that can be seen, nothing getting ripped out. I thought about the generator idea Geoff but the stihl saw sounded easier but i never thought about how much closer i could get wit a grinder, good shout mate. I know what you guys are saying about being too late for removing them and doing more damage. I will be taking a piece of leather to put close to the bark for grindings and be as carefull as i can. What are your thoughts about the trees being strangled by the bands, could that be causing the roots to rot? If so how?:001_smile: