Strop positioning

Killa Ferret

I was on an assessment today and got a telling off for not having my strop positioned on the centre of the harness, just wondered what the general consensus was? do you guys have it on the side rings or in the centre?

After alot of banter i switched it to the front, what a complete ballache, i was on pretty much a standing stem, no spikes, the whole lot was tight wedged together, so loosening either off was difficult, it would better in a nice open crown, anyway i passed :thumbup1:

Dan

What assement was it 38?

I think on assesments its just easier to do what they want then make up your own mind I had to change my whole felling process to please people as soon as I passed I just went back to my original.

I thought there was nothing wrong with being on the center or side except it may get busy being on the center d with other lines etc?

Weel done on passing though.

i seem to recall an issue like this before...i cant quite remember the reasoning behind it for sure......but i believe the arguement was that the side d's were rated to be used as a secondary attachment point. so as long as you had your main line on your centre attachment then having your strop on the side d's would then be acceptable. i may be way out though

i seem to recall an issue like this before...i cant quite remember the reasoning behind it for sure......but i believe the arguement was that the side d's were rated to be used as a secondary attachment point. so as long as you had your main line on your centre attachment then having your strop on the side d's would then be acceptable. i may be way out though

Unless im geting my inexpienced head confused they tell you to put all secondary anchor points on the center d ( excluding the strop).:confused1:

I think im geting confused

I'd say the side D:s are for support and as Mr Bullman said its quite allright to use them as secondary attachment but if you were to fall they or the harness is not designed to take an arrest. So really it depends on the harnes you are using... On Tree Austria 2 for instanse there is a set of side D:s that sits lower on the harness and can take a full arrest, there are others with similar design.

I'd say the side D:s are for support and as Mr Bullman said its quite allright to use them as secondary attachment but if you were to fall they or the harness is not designed to take an arrest. So really it depends on the harnes you are using... On Tree Austria 2 for instanse there is a set of side D:s that sits lower on the harness and can take a full arrest, there are others with similar design.

I did my 38 a month or so ago now and we were told to have our strop on the side D's. These were all that held us when we advanced our climbing line further up the tree to the next anchor point, so if we fell that would be all that had us.

Whilst on my 39 I had both ends of my strop on one side D ring to gain a good work position and the asessor was quite happy?!

I thought it was to take you out of the loop so to speak. if the strops on your side d's then you are effectivly in a loop and if the cut goes wrong and splits its going to squash you against the tree if the strops on the front d then your out of the loop. just my newbie opinion

side d rings are not designed for having complete weight on them ie hanging off them but cant see why there would be a problem with on the side out on a limb as its for work position not load bearing. As for a secondary anchor incase of main line failure then this should be on the front as this could potentially be load bearing, at least thats how i read it anyway.

I thought it was to take you out of the loop so to speak. if the strops on your side d's then you are effectivly in a loop and if the cut goes wrong and splits its going to squash you against the tree if the strops on the front d then your out of the loop. just my newbie opinion

I believe you are correct, I am pretty sure that a student climber was killed when, as you have said, the side d's were used as attachment, the tree split, pulling in the climber, crushing the poor guy, the front attachment gives you that much more room, so you shouldn't be pulled in and hurt and it will also give you some room to enable you to escape from the situation.

But, If you are aware of a situation that could possibly arise then you could change attachment when you think appropriate, same as clipping a big saw in the tree if you think that there maybe a chance of it being caught in the cut and taken from your hands.

Edited by High Scale