finding premises...

jrose

hi guys,

don't know if this in in the right place, I think it is but my apologies if it isn't!

I'm looking for some advice, basically my job has come to an end. I have been chainsaw carving for a while in my spare time, and decided that as I already have chainsaws, a van and a good selection of hand tools it would be foolish to go back on the dole, so I am going to try becoming self employed doing half carving work, and half countryside management (fencing, hedge laying, strimming, whatever else people will pay me to do!)

However, what I don't have is a place to store stuff, so far my chainsaws have been in our very small shed but it's not really practical. What I would really like is some sort of secure building of a size big enough to store saws, brushcutter, hand tools etc. as well as timber for carving and any materials I might need (stakes, wire etc.). Ideally able to get a vehicle pretty close to aid loading and unloading.

Can anyone offer any advice where to try please? And how much this should costs in terms of rent? My plan at the moment is to try local farmers, and see if any of them have a free shed. However, so far all I have found is one who has a shed about 10x10', which isn't really big enough and he wants £10 a week rent, which seems a bit high to my mind but maybe this is average?

cheers,

Joe

forest of dean in gloucestershire

You could have had space here on the farm. We have set up a scheme on the farm with Landshare (As seen on TV River Cottage) We now have a community of 14 families growing Veg on our land using our horticulture equipment. I am extending this to a community of tree surgeons (Treeshare) who will be able to use our fuel processing and storage facilities as a base for there operations.

thanks a lot everyone, looks like my best bet is to try local farmers then!

cheers,

Joe

You need to ask if the farmer has already got the various Environment Agency exemption licenses if he does not know what your talking about then find another farmer. Not saying I am a typical farmer but the list of exemptions we had to register for just to continue farming was 12 plus 1 complex exemption which has to be renewed annually.