044 Playing up :(

swinny

My 044 is a big let down to me, its probabilly my fault due to buying it second hand. Its a 2000 model and i gave 150.00 for it.

Tried using it today, it would bog down when trying to cross cut with a 16" bar, but ok when boring. I keep having a re occuring problem with oiling bar heats up, i've checked it over, maybe parts old and worn.

I've just ordered a 20" bar for a 440/044.

The 16" bar seems too small to me for the saw? so ordered the above 20"

Anyway, its let me down today so not happy :thumbdown:

I currently only have my cs30 & 31, am keen at this as a career venture. i have a few jobs to do but this isn't my main job as i work for a landscaping company, it comes in handy though.

Do i get the 044 fixed?

Buy a brand new 441? Moneys not good but i may find it......

Buy second hand again :001_huh: seen 2009 361 but it looks like its been worked hard'ish...... once bitten twice shy?

Help :( it puts a big downer on things

Thats one of the best saws theyh ever made IMO. I have one about the same age and its my oldest saw and most favorite. it now has an 18 inch bar and its aggressive to say the least.

Oiling parts do wear out easily though. Check that the metal spiggot is actually turning the worm screw in the centre of the oil pump. sometimes they come apart from each other.

As for boggign down, thats more likely a carb problem which is not my thing really. Try and get it fixed if you can its an awsome saw and you should be smiling when you use it.

I think mine is better then my new ms460 which was supposed to replace the 044 but I still choose the 044 in the tree and not the 460.

Thats one of the best saws theyh ever made IMO. I have one about the same age and its my oldest saw and most favorite. it now has an 18 inch bar and its aggressive to say the least.

Oiling parts do wear out easily though. Check that the metal spiggot is actually turning the worm screw in the centre of the oil pump. sometimes they come apart from each other.

As for boggign down, thats more likely a carb problem which is not my thing really. Try and get it fixed if you can its an awsome saw and you should be smiling when you use it.

I think mine is better then my new ms460 which was supposed to replace the 044 but I still choose the 044 in the tree and not the 460.

i stripped it down yesterday to have a look, i could see the little metal arm that moves round which then turns the oil pump, with the clutch drum off i turned the clutch/engine and it would turn with it but sometimes stick and not turn.... i took the clutch off and everything seem'd tight asin the metal arm and the plastic piece tight not slipping? i didn't think it seem'd to oil to bad when i checked it maybe its intermittant? bar just gets hot n smokes :(

i hate messing with old gear :(

i stripped it down yesterday to have a look, i could see the little metal arm that moves round which then turns the oil pump, with the clutch drum off i turned the clutch/engine and it would turn with it but sometimes stick and not turn.... i took the clutch off and everything seem'd tight asin the metal arm and the plastic piece tight not slipping? i didn't think it seem'd to oil to bad when i checked it maybe its intermittant? bar just gets hot n smokes :(

i hate messing with old gear :(

Maybe clean the oil pump with petrol and an air gun and empty the oli tank and blow that through as well?

Should have plenty of life left in it only being a 2000 model. weird that its ok bore cutting and not cross cutting. Does it start ok?? I think theres a possibility that the bar heating to much could cause it not to cross cut very well.

If the chains getting tight then as soon as you apply the saw to wood it its going to be working against alot, then if it isnt that sharp even more stress for it.

Its fairly unlikely that thats the problem but it could be . . .

When you say let u down do u mean not wowrking atall now?

I had a problem with my 260 not oiling very well or at all. If I shook it it would let some through for a bit buy I just took it to my local stihl guy and he put a new system in it. Now the oil is coming out nicely. The chain is soaking 10 seconds after a cold start. He also put a new diaphragm, carb kit and spark plug. And chucked a service in for free!