Worst job you ever had?

Shane

Having seen all the doom and gloom and feeling sympathy for those seeking arb work, if it hasn't already been posted somewhere....

What is the worst job (outside arb) you've ever had?

Maybe this will help us all appreciate what we DO have and how fun our work is - even on bad days.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cleaning a floor in a sports hall, the machine went about 0000.1mph it took 2 days to cover a hall with 8 badminton courts. the boredom was painfull and you had to walk behind it.

oh and watching a conveyor belt full of coal for 16 hours a day as the trip switch was broken and you had to press a button incase it stopped, never happened once over a long weekend and it was 100 feet up a huge crane in winter with no breaks or bog, just a jacket and a bag of food.

or working in an office for a week filling folders with brochures and it was about 100 degrees.

They must have been similarish to the turkey sheds. The one thing you never forget is the smell!!

Yh the smell and dust was the worst. These sheds were small, about 5ft tall. Im 6ft 4 so that made it hard lol

I get a little bit annoyed of people saying they cant get a job, theres work out there, it might not be what you ideally looking for but it will pay the bills.

digging out a broken sewer lid in a septic tank and it was full and still in use.

stripping pipes in the dark in waders with no torches or lights and the tunnel was about 500 yds long. imagination isnt cool on jobs like that.

yikes!

makes me look forward to the connie hedge im doing on tuesday! :biggrin:

Yh the smell and dust was the worst. These sheds were small, about 5ft tall. Im 6ft 4 so that made it hard lol

I get a little bit annoyed of people saying they cant get a job, theres work out there, it might not be what you ideally looking for but it will pay the bills.

my first truck was a flare side 1 ton pick up and i had to shovel the chippings out the back as it was a non tipper. At the back the board was shorter then me and shovelling half sort of bent down is no fun on your back atall i no were your coming from with that!! :laugh1:

My theory on the work situation is. . If you sat down with a phone and the yellow pages and phoned it cover to cover asking for any work that was going even if it was one day i struggle to belive you d get to the other end without a single day in the bag!! Thats what id do if i had to. :001_smile:

I worked in a commercial laundry for a few weeks. Had to empty truck loads of 'soiled' (with everything) sheets by hand (no gloves or masks supplied) and load into a huge washing machine. It took 100 double sheets at a time. 100% humidity in there and 120 degrees f.

That was in 1976 - Health and safety was new and nobody there knew about it.

It was no fun but it paid the bills. Makes me appreciate how good even the awful days are in the arb industry.

Like Tom says - there's always some work out there.