Quotes over the phone.

Mesterh

Just had the typical "Can you tell me how much it is to cut down a tree?"

Went through the usual response "It's impossible to give a price over the phone there are too many variables, access to the tree, size of the tree targets underneath blah blah blah"

Same old response "Well can you give my a rough idea then?"

!!! "Yes between about £50 to £3000, I really need to see the job its a free quote and I can call around tomorrow."

Eventually they give me there address and I arrange to see the job on Tuesday, obviously thinking to myself it will be a complete wste of time but in the current economic climate etc etc.

Anyway, the missus was listening and wasnt to impressed with the tone of my voice while speaking to possible client.

I explained that I thought the client had gotten off lightly and sometimes I sound even more annoyed than I did then.

So got me thinking I should obviously be more courteous to any potential clients but it does get tiresome with the old quote over the phone and more often than not results in nothing.

So what do you do, try and talk them into getting you round to quote or just try and get rid of them for time wasting?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this person isnt nuts mate, he fits into a RED personality as i call it, they are blunt, direct and dont want to hear big long stories, so the obvious question if you skip all the niceties is HOW MUCH?? thats what you ask in a shop, you wouldnt expect the owner of the fruit and veg shop to start explaining rent and rates, insurance etc, he would tell you the price.

Now you may not think our job ia as simple as that but it is, what you should of said is, ' whats your name? where do you live? whats your number? and when can i meet you?

end of. Do you want a cuddle and a 2 hour chat with every customer? i dont, if someone leaves me a 4 minuts answer machine message then i give them a 4 minute explanation of the diferent variants in tree felling prices, every one is diferent but they only fit into a few categories for our needs, learn to comunicate and get some people skills mate, it makes life so much easier.:001_smile:

this person isnt nuts mate, he fits into a RED personality as i call it, they are blunt, direct and dont want to hear big long stories, so the obvious question if you skip all the niceties is HOW MUCH?? thats what you ask in a shop, you wouldnt expect the owner of the fruit and veg shop to start explaining rent and rates, insurance etc, he would tell you the price.

Now you may not think our job ia as simple as that but it is, what you should of said is, ' whats your name? where do you live? whats your number? and when can i meet you?

end of. Do you want a cuddle and a 2 hour chat with every customer? i dont, if someone leaves me a 4 minuts answer machine message then i give them a 4 minute explanation of the diferent variants in tree felling prices, every one is diferent but they only fit into a few categories for our needs, learn to comunicate and get some people skills mate, it makes life so much easier.:001_smile:

:thumbup:

He wanted a quote over the phone which I cant do and told him that, he still wanted a quote over the phone so I persuaded him to give me his address etc.

I would hope that was decent enough people skills tbh.:001_tongue:

I was wondering how many people just wouldnt bother even trying to quote.

he was trying to keep control of the conversation, so i would of just asked him if he knew that badgers were left handed? and said nothing until he spoke, if he asked me why i asked him a stupid question i would tell him i just wanted to let him know what it is like to be spoken to like an idiot and if he wanted ME to work for him there are certain rules he has to follow. You might aswell get all this out the way now because if he was just on the phone out of boredom and too voice his authority you might aswell put an end to your relationship there and then rather than when you are trying to get a hold of him for the 10th time to look for payment a month down the line.

It like asking a mechanic how much to fix your car..

What's wrong with it?

I dont know I just want a quote to fix it....

I can't tell you without looking at it...

Can't you give me a rough idea??

No!!

If they require a blunt answer Stevie I give them one....:biggrin:

Top and bottom of it is I have never had a job out of this type of customer and I have had loads, so now I dont bother with them...

If you are short of work and need every job, then persevere but IMO 9 times out of ten your wasting your breath

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

I had one going on about his 30 yr old tree today and saying it was ridiculous i could not look within 2 weeks and all i said was it has been growing 30 yr,s what's another couple of weeks and put the phone down

then i got told off by Big boss for been rude

shame he did not hear the other guys conversation:confused1: