Tesco night shifts on £11p/h OR Climbing for £7-£9p/h

Brodie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some people think that Brodie's posts are arrogant and pointless. I see them little differently. I see a guy who is desperate for that "career" that he set out to achieve 11 years ago.

In my honest opinion, this industry does not demand a high level of knowledge/training to become employable. There is little scope or pressure to better ourselves past cs38/39therefore why should we expect £10ph plus?

A few years ago at the age of 24 I was a senior arborist for a very busy company on £10per hour. I wont be shy, I did the hours and made this up to £20k per year. But I was basically in a position where I wouldnt get any further. That to me is not a career so I left.

I applied for FC jobs, private estate jobs, forestry jobs and didnt ever get an interview. The reason was that I was only a Tree Surgeon. In the big wide world that counts for absolutely nothing. I did come very close to being accepted into the Fire Service. But still no joy. All the blood sweat and tears of becoming a decent tree climber and chainsaw operator counts for nothing. Sorry, but its true.

I am now 29. The guy who now fills my position at the previous company is on £1 an hour more than I was five yeas ago and has received no further professional development than tree climbing tickets. So I am confident I made the right move to leave when I did.

For the last three years I have studied full time and completed a few extra curricular, generic courses in order to expand my knowledge. I freelance climb when I can and I have a part time job labouring on a beef farm every weekend. I do not have days off....ever. I have paid tax on less than 12 grand a year. Next year is my Hnours degree year, and I am pretty sure I will complete a Masters degree in the future.

Do I earn less? Yes

Am I happier? Yes

Is there a career in Arb just as a climber? Absolutley NOT.

Do you have to better yourself? Yes

Do I now have a career in front of me? Absolutley YES.

Before people presume that they couldnt survive on £12k. I am married with two kids, high(ish) rent, high utility bills (in-efficient house), a little bit of debt to service, two cars....usual average stuff, no exceptions. The difference is I found that the wages are NOT there, so I am making it work in a different way.

You cant climb trees (commercially/production climbing) for ever. No matter how good you think you are. You can climb for ever for the love of it.

I like to think I will have a varied career which will challenge me mentally as well as have the pleasure of climbing a tree every now and again too.

All the best Brodie. Good luck. Dont limit yourself.

Edited by Doug Blease
spelling

I know some people think that Brodie's posts are arrogant and pointless. I see them little differently. I see a guy who is desperate for that "career" that he set out to achieve 11 years ago.

In my honest opinion, this industry does not demand a high level of knowledge/training to become employable. There is little scope or pressure to better ourselves past cs38/39therefore why should we expect £10ph plus?

A few years ago at the age of 24 I was a senior arborist for a very busy company on £10per hour. I wont be shy, I did the hours and made this up to £20k per year. But I was basically in a position where I wouldnt get any further. That to me is not a career so I left.

I applied for FC jobs, private estate jobs, forestry jobs and didnt ever get an interview. The reason was that I was only a Tree Surgeon. In the big wide world that counts for absolutely nothing. I did come very close to being accepted into the Fire Service. But still no joy. All the blood sweat and tears of becoming a decent tree climber and chainsaw operator counts for nothing. Sorry, but its true.

I am now 29. The guy who now fills my position at the previous company is on £1 an hour more than I was five yeas ago and has received no further professional development than tree climbing tickets. So I am confident I made the right move to leave when I did.

For the last three years I have studied full time and completed a few extra curricular, generic courses in order to expand my knowledge. I freelance climb when I can and I have a part time job labouring on a beef farm every weekend. I do not have days off....ever. I have paid tax on less than 12 grand a year. Next year is my Hnours degree year, and I am pretty sure I will complete a Masters degree in the future.

Do I earn less? Yes

Am I happier? Yes

Before people presume that they couldnt survive on £12k. I am married with two kids, high(ish) rent, high utility bills (in-efficient house), a little bit of debt to service, two cars....usual average stuff, no exceptions. The difference is I found that the wages are NOT there, so I am making it work in a different way.

You cant climb trees (commercially/production climbing) for ever. No matter how good you think you are. You can climb for ever for the love of it.

I like to think I will have a varied career which will challenge me mentally as well as have the pleasure of climbing a tree every now and again too.

A thoroughly good post. Thank you Doug.

I was tempted at first to join ranks with other critics of you on this thread. Then I made a coffee, had a fag and a think about it. I understand where you're coming from. If you're a good climber, why not either go it alone 100%, set up with truck chipper, or go free-lance and earn top dollar? Money is always out there for top grade workers, you just have to find it. Its not just about aptitude, but attitude as well. I am no climber, but I have no trouble in getting the money I want when I sub out, and I do 90% of my own work too. Yes times are tight out there, but if you're the right person you'll do well where ever you are. Think outside the box, be positive in your attitude, and go get some well-paid work on your terms, and you might even be surprised whats out there.:thumbup1:

Do I earn less? Yes

Am I happier? Yes

Great post and a great attitude! Nice one Doug.

I dont see this as a poimtless thread....Brodie isnt asking us how much we earn, or what sawpants to buy, or what the answer to his dissertation should be. He seems to be an experienced guy who wants to earn a semi decent wage.

Brodie, I think that if you do have the skills and experience you mention in your other thread, then you have been getting far too little mate. I pay my groundie 10/hour, and subby climber minimum of 120 a day, but they both work very hard and efficiently, so i think they are worth it.

I cannpot help you at the mo Brodie, but i hope that someone who is less sarcastic than some have been may find you work, or if not that something comes your way mate.

Thanks Tommer9.. and as it happens I have just been offered a job on £27.5k. All being well i should start next week... Thanks to all the great ppl who have given constructive comments and votes of confidence

And to all those ppl out there that have knocked me for refusing shitty wages good luck and keep paying those bills on your £50 per day.. :devil-smiley-017:

If you want the top dollars then some times you have to take the rough with the smooth

this is our lodging in the south, but 4 nights a week on a camp bed is worth it as we would never get the money were earning back in the north[ATTACH]39818[/ATTACH]