'ARB Show'

AA Teccie (Paul)

Mornin all, hope you're well!

If I may I'm seeking your views/comments regarding the ARB Show.

It is noticeable that there hasn't been the same 'buzz/banter', indeed if any at all, as there is with the Capel show.

Is this because it's too big (by comparison)?

Is it viewed as a trade/suppliers event rather than industry?

Is it because you have to pay for entry?

Is the beer too expensive (ha)?

Any and all comments / views would be greatly appreciated as we alwasy have a formal review meeting after and I sense there may be a need for change.

Many thanks all..

Paul

PS For those who are attending please be sure to give me a shout (I'm hoping to spend sometime with Steve at the 'Arbtalk' plot.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Paul, you’ll find plenty of constructive feed-back from previous shows in past threads. Capel is an excellent little show with a good friendly atmosphere and a proper bar. Last year we all enjoyed Capel and were looking forward too much of the same from the AA Show, only to be greeted by tins of warm larger and cider at vastly inflated prices.

We’re not all drunken alcoholics you understand, it would just be nice to have a meet-up, have a chat, drink proper beer and not be ripped off.

Morning Paul, you’ll find plenty of constructive feed-back from previous shows in past threads. Capel is an excellent little show with a good friendly atmosphere and a proper bar. Last year we all enjoyed Capel and were looking forward too much of the same from the AA Show, only to be greeted by tins of warm larger and cider at vastly inflated prices.

We’re not all drunken alcoholics you understand, it would just be nice to have a meet-up, have a chat, drink proper beer and not be ripped off.

id agree with john, i managed capel this year and had great weekend meeting up with the lads from arbtalk and of course buying some shiny bits,

IMO you'l find that most folk cant attend due to having to work or because the shows start on fridays, maybe if the shows wer extended to a sunday then more could make them.

also there are never any down kent way except for jonesies's and thats only cos justin took the on the responsibility of arranging it:thumbup1:

You might get more comments if your banner at the top of Arbtalk linked to your website instead of coming up page not found. I also will be going to the APF mainly because of the live demonstration areas. I quite understand the frustration by Palax aired on one of the Arbtalk threads in respect of the Arb show and can see a shadow free show being established down the road from the Arb show especially if it has a realistically priced bar and overnight accommodation.

I'm going down tonight for the show tomorrow. 350ish mile round trip for me and I'm only really going as I couldnt do Capel.

The beer and food is poor and too expensive - especially after having to pay an entrance fee. In my opinion decide where you are making your money, beer/food or admission not both. I am quite sure you make a killing from the various traders already.

Why friday/saturday? If the friday is for all those LA (and other employed) bods that get a paid day to walk around the show why not stay open Saturday and Sunday for the general masses, with camping you would find a lot more people there for the weekend I am sure.

Why are ALL the shows down south?

I think the biggest problem for the AA Show are the logistics. For Capel, its quite accessible by road, rail and so on. For example, last year Rich Rule got to Cirencester, then had to walk several miles to the college (due to a few beers we could only meet him at the college gates). The lack of camping now means alternative accomodation has to be sought, again too much hassle. I see huge empty green fields all around the show, many people cant justify a 3-4hr journey each way for this show, and if they wish to stay over, that then is a pain. Yo cant share a few beers then drive to a hotel!! Its a beautiful area, not a bad show at all, but logistically it is perhaps just too much of a ball-ache for most.

Cost wise, Capel is as cheap as chips, the AA show is quite a bit dearer for non-members, yet it is a show-case for the industry, a cornered market for traders to sell their wares, you dont pay to go shopping in a local town, so why charge the buying public for the privilege of spending their dough? The AA needs to address these issues, this show should be growing by a big percentage year on year, yet my understanding is that the gate traffic is fairly static at around 1700 for 2 days, which IMO is very poor given the rapid growth of the Arb sector.