Trailer reg plate

Lancstree

The law says you need the V5 for any road-going number plate now, but some places will make up "show plates" without seeing V5, the onlyproviso is that you shouldn't use them on the road. One you have them, who cares? It's a bit of a farce really. Reputable makers won't do this.

If you happen to tow with an oldie (pre 1972) with black/silver plates then the trailer plate must also be black/silver, not reflective. If you have reflective plates on the towing vehicle, then the trailer plate must be reflective.

You see an awful lot of people towing things with no plate, the wrong plate, or homemade plates - all illegal - and they seem to get away with it.

I think you may be mistaken Dent...i am pretty sure you need v5 plus ID in most places, front or rear. I tried to get one for the chipper and ran into these probs.

Correct. A plate without the postcode of the co who numbered it is also illegal. There used to be a great number plate co on ebay called crafty-plates (well, still are) but now you have to send all the docs - what a pita. :001_rolleyes:

I think you may be mistaken Dent...i am pretty sure you need v5 plus ID in most places, front or rear. I tried to get one for the chipper and ran into these probs.

that's because you look well dodgy tom..:lol:

Correct. A plate without the postcode of the co who numbered it is also illegal. There used to be a great number plate co on ebay called crafty-plates (well, still are) but now you have to send all the docs - what a pita. :001_rolleyes:

The number plate itself isn’t illegal, there are still plenty of plates out there without the manufacturer identifier.

What is illegal is, in the UK, supplying the plates if the supplier isn’t registered.

At least the rules have now changed to prevent suppliers putting themselves and advert on the plates.

The law requires the plate supplier to be identifiable and for the most part that can be done on postcode alone.

Andy

The number plate itself isn’t illegal, there are still plenty of plates out there without the manufacturer identifier.

What is illegal is, in the UK, supplying the plates if the supplier isn’t registered.

At least the rules have now changed to prevent suppliers putting themselves and advert on the plates.

The law requires the plate supplier to be identifiable and for the most part that can be done on postcode alone.

Andy

I just got one and it has the suppliers name, address and telephone number printed on it. Is that ligit?

I just got one and it has the suppliers name, address and telephone number printed on it. Is that ligit?

Probably.

You can have text on a plate but some suppliers were getting a bit OTT with the “adverts”. There are plates with text areas around the edge that don’t contravene. If any rules have been broken it’s more than likely the supplier and you can use the plate without problems

Andy