A top handled saw

rowan lee

I know there different, Why Gypsie then ??? , Why would i want to know that your turnover is short of 1m. One saw every 18mths thats not bad tho, I know a contract climber that buys a new one every year, doesn't mean its not looked after it still works but decided to do it that way.

Not my turnover, the company I work for. Why every year/18mth?? If you have that much trouble buying one, do your CS units?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my turnover, the company I work for. Why every year/18mth?? If you have that much trouble buying one, do your CS units?

You did say our not the company you work for, Depends on how much work its done. My mate just preferes it that way new one every year always reliable and can afford to do it, Why not. I have no trouble buying one as i have my CS units. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
LOL only about the 5th thread starter since i joined up here and someone has been banned as a result. (maybe it was already coming though).

Thanks for all the earlier replys lads.

He wasnt banned as a result of your thread mate, it was due to breaking basic forum rules and manipulation of this site.

Nothing wrong with your thread as far as i can see mate:thumbup1:

Hope i dont get in trouble for saying so:001_huh:

you just basically need most of the ticketgs before you can get one so cs30, cs31, cs38 and cs39. top handles can only be used in a tree tho due to higher kickback risk but they are pretty good saws alround and you also have to have a lot of training with them tho.

you just basically need most of the ticketgs before you can get one so cs30, cs31, cs38 and cs39. top handles can only be used in a tree tho due to higher kickback risk but they are pretty good saws alround and you also have to have a lot of training with them tho.

So increased kickback would be the main reason then overall? Are there any other hazards compared to a standard back handled saw?

Again, i probe purely out of interest. From an outsiders point of view - its always seemed strange that one could walk into a shop and buy a huge 42'' saw and take a house down without being asked for anything, yet a tiny lightweight saw is off limited to the inexperienced.

:thumbup1:

I have never heard that there is increased kickback, and cannot see that making sense. Kickback is caused from how you use the saw nopt from the position of the handles. They tried to ban them altogether some years back, after a particularly nasty accident involving one-handed use by a domestic user I believe, but the industry said we need them, tools of the trade, so HSE relented, and allowed them to be used by qualified personnel in a tree only.

I dont know why the hell you would want one on the ground anyway, they are a total PITA if you ask me.

Ok - lets say im an ordinary joe soap with a good background in domestic chainsaw use, and i go out and buy a top handled saw illegally. whats must likely to go wrong for me?

WRT the hse trying to ban top handled saws, surely nasty domestic accidents with standard chainsaws also occur. why not pick on standard chainsaws as well, and make them only accessible to someone with training?

Ok - lets say im an ordinary joe soap with a good background in domestic chainsaw use, and i go out and buy a top handled saw illegally. whats must likely to go wrong for me?

WRT the hse trying to ban top handled saws, surely nasty domestic accidents with standard chainsaws also occur. why not pick on standard chainsaws as well, and make them only accessible to someone with training?

Your going to use it one handed and either cut your left hand/arm by crossing it over /under the saw or get a nasty kickback to the face since its very hard to control kickback one handed.

Its because they are so easy to use one handed which is great for working with but a lot more dangerous to use.

Your going to use it one handed and either cut your left hand/arm by crossing it over /under the saw or get a nasty kickback to the face since its very hard to control kickback one handed.

Its because they are so easy to use one handed which is great for working with but a lot more dangerous to use.

Yup what he said, Out stretched up a tree at full length to nip a branch off, yes, The odd time use it one handed BUT if you start waving one around on the ground one handed, Your asking for trouble,

GET SOME TRAINING AND BUY A GROUNDSAW, I cant stress that enough, Get a stihl ms181 really light same (ish) power as a top handle and alot safer to use on the ground!! Plus only about £200 brand new