Bird surveys.

I am having some bird surveys done in some of my woods. How many others have had bird surveys in your parks or woods?

I think this is important as some birds are getting very rare i have not seen the nuthatch here for a couple of years and we have lost the nightingale:001_smile:

Not quite an answer, David. But I carry out a few bird surveys each year for the BTO.

The fluctuations of some species is dramatic and, although we don't have nuthatches in Ireland, I know what you mean about missing birds that were once common.

Have you considered taking part in the surveys yourself?

I do know birds but it is when it gets to warblers or marsh and willow tits i am no good. I do not know bird song either and as you will know this is a big part.

I do the Barn owl surveys and have the licence but i have to get a ringer in.

I did have short eared owls a few years back:thumbup:

This site were working on at the mo, there is so many owl fur balls in all the trees particulary the oaks it verges on the ridiculous, I have NEVER know a site so obviously active with owls. I so want to stay up there one night and watch the old hollow beech for bats and see the owls hunt silently by night.

There is something deeply rewarding in sitting still and silent long enough for life to scarcley recognise you at all and go about thier business as per usual.

This site were working on at the mo, there is so many owl fur balls in all the trees particulary the oaks it verges on the ridiculous, I have NEVER know a site so obviously active with owls. I so want to stay up there one night and watch the old hollow beech for bats and see the owls hunt silently by night.

There is something deeply rewarding in sitting still and silent long enough for life to scarcley recognise you at all and go about thier business as per usual.

I like the way you think, Tony. :001_cool:

A derail already - sorry David. Years ago I was corncarting at dusk on my best man's farm near John O'Groat's and a pair of long eared owls were cruising three feet off the ground in front of the tractor looking for small prey that I might disturb. I felt so privileged to see it; could have spent years waiting in hides to see anything similar and there they were unprompted using a tractor for hunting.

I think this is becoming more and more topical and Arborists/woodland owners are becoming more concious or wildlife and there surroundings.

I have arranged for our guys to undertake a bat awareness course as a starter but the knowledge required is endless!

Is there a basic bird ID and habitat course on birds?, maybe this is something the RSPB/AA could put together for specifically for people like us?

I think this is becoming more and more topical and Arborists/woodland owners are becoming more concious or wildlife and there surroundings.

I have arranged for our guys to undertake a bat awareness course as a starter but the knowledge required is endless!

Is there a basic bird ID and habitat course on birds?, maybe this is something the RSPB/AA could put together for specifically for people like us?

It has taken some time, but arbor ecology is a movement, and it is happening, good on you big boss, it is the future of our industry, and receptive companies like yours will reap great rewards in the future.:thumbup:

Not quite an answer, David. But I carry out a few bird surveys each year for the BTO.

What type, Dee? Ive spent several years doing nestbox surveys and assisted on a few Common bird census's for the BTO. Very rewarding work and gets you out and about in some unusual and interesting places.

@David Oakman - A knowledge of birds and their songs/calls is obviously important, but it's never too late to learn if you have an interest. Nothing better (IMO)than being out at the crack of dawn in an oak woodland in early May.:thumbup1:

DAWN CHORUS

As black begins to blue, and stars begin to fade.

From the trees above comes natures great parade.

At first tiny shadows, they shuffle and shift,

Slow at first they start their rift.

The Blackbird, so loud, and so very proud,

the chorus instigator and consummate conductor.

hark the dawn chorus now in full swing,

through woods and fields their voices ring.

The Robin, Chaffinch, the Thrush and Yaffle too

Hail all, the rising sun, and sing the whole morn through.

Hamadryad