CV advice

well i am about to start re trying the old "get a new job" thing and need to update my CV what would you guys say about yourselves?

play it up. play it low key, ellaborate or simple details, leave stuff out?

i would post mine up but I dont need the flack today!:laugh1:

people keep telling me i have skills on here, but how do you quantify these? they are not official?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i am about to start re trying the old "get a new job" thing and need to update my CV what would you guys say about yourselves?

play it up. play it low key, ellaborate or simple details, leave stuff out?

i would post mine up but I dont need the flack today!:laugh1:

If you want to pm it to me i'd be more than happy to give you my honest opinion. Or maybe e-mail would be better. let me know mate

Ill pm you an e-mail address. Wont be any criticism for the sake of it though mate. Genuinely trying to help.QUOTE]

Dont underestimate how much I value constructive criticism, even the likes of the negative responses like asplen and mike hill to a lesser degree, i actualy like Mike, think he is just "dry" but inherently funny with it.:lol: even if he does eat whales for tea!:sneaky2:

You know what they say the truth hurts!:blushing:

but good medicine always tastes like the proverbial!:laugh1:

Have spoken to both 'personal statement' writers, one of whom has also written a CV (she's 18!) and both say take a look at Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.co.uk. Apparently it has good online help.

Tony, put yourself in the position of a potential employer (get in front of that mirror again!). What do you want to hear? Probably not 'I'm reliable, keen and a team player'! Find something out of the ordinary; that candidate needs to wake you up, to have that extra something. What's going to make the panel think 'this guy's different; we need him'?

Don't bullsh*t (you'll get found out by a couple of pointed questions) but talk yourself up. Your posts here show that you have that 'something' as your knowledge is superb but you've got to get it across.

Take your time, plan, ask others; this is important.

Best of British to you.

Jon

Depending on the position Tony, Perhaps some examples of past work might help? Some of your work you've posted is spot on mate. Good luck chap

posting my work? trouble is tommy, ive NEVER needed to work hard at getting THOSE roles, this is a new role i seek, at the bottom of a new ladder so to speak, a junior consultants position would be perfect for me.

what use is all ive done for this position?

NONE whatsoever im afraid to say, thanks for the input though, its all appreciated... all of you.:thumbup:

Post yourself in the employment section on arbtalk- you never know, some people may ONLY read that section. and you dont have to be a member to read it, as far as i know.

dont underestimate using photos of your previous work- it shows that the last thing you put your mind to, you excelled in. always a good message to put across.

carry about a little keyring- usb/memory stick everywhere you go, containing said pics, any reports. studies/ papers you have wrote, and your cv. just cos you never know!

Are there any ecological groups or less mainstream companies about that may appreciate your knowledge and skills mate. Seems to me that LA or mainstream consultant positions may require quals you dont have where as some who may be more focused on ecology etc may love to have you on board.

Right, back to arbclimber the marketing man.

How about setting up a company that advises big business about such things as corporate and social responsibility. This really is the 'buzz phrase' in big business at the moment. Any company causing any impact on the environment, specifically trees and such like, will be crying out for knowledge and ideas such as yours. A major concern for big business at present is their perceived environmental credentials. This is an area I know a good deal about. Could even be an area that you could actually 'make a difference'.