CS38 Questions/Gearing up

ecolojim

right, ive got my CS38 27th to 30th May and assessment on the 2nd June. Ive got nearly all my gear, but i shall have to get some more to meet the criteria.

peoples first hand experience whether of the course itself or possible gear i should buy would be most appreciated.

the requirements are:

Requirements

1 passport photograph

PPE (helmet with chin strap, boots etc)

Climbing rope (30m x min 12mm)

Safety harness with leg straps (full or seat harness). If using a full harness or Willams a Maillon Rapid will be required.

2 climbing strops; min 4 Triple-action auto-locking karabiners (not screw gate);

2 Prussik loops

Personal first aid kit

so I need a helmet, I could do with replacing my first aid kit, could do with a new pair of gloves, might as well get a couple more biners, a second climbing strop and another prusik loop

helmet: thinking petzl vertex vent thingemy... but im not sure whether to buy complete or whether my visor and muffs from my husky helmet will fit it (need a replacement visor anyway)

gloves: fancy another pair of the timberland pro ones unless anyone tells me not to

probably another couple of the isc triple locks

second strop: I currently have just the one, a 3m petzl grillon setup. perhaps appropriate to get a 5m one as well? but what kinda setup? wirecore? ascender based or prusik?

prusik loops. Ive got one decent sized one, Justin sent me some cord, it's black and hivis yellow striped. is this suitable? if not i'll have to get two new ones

And something in the assessment spec talks about redirects, so i wonder if a couple of webbing slings with maillons might be appropriate?

thanks in advance guys.

Jim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see you have no spike on the list? Does this mean you are not going to do a pole rescue or are you hoping its not picked on your assesment? I don't think being able to talk an assesor through a pole rescue is good enough IMHO.

Dont forget to pack a nice tree into your kit-bag...:awink:

since spikes arent on the list of required equipment from the training provider and I cant find them on the assessment schedule, I hadnt given them a second thought.

I was under the impression you had to make a rescue using the casualty's line, and then a second method, either a pole rescue OR using your climb line (casualty's line does not reach ground) or something like that. I can only see mention of explaining the use of spikes being only on trees set for removal or pole rescue, but no mention that a pole rescue is mandatory. Of course if im wrong, i want to know about it :)

I did a pole rescue as part of the training, but just had to talk through the rescue for the assessment. The examiner can, if he so wishes, ask you to perform a pole rescue for the assessment.

...helmet: thinking petzl vertex vent thingemy... but im not sure whether to buy complete or whether my visor and muffs from my husky helmet will fit it (need a replacement visor anyway)

husky stuff fits into the vertex - don't spend out on new stuff if you don't have to!!

gloves: fancy another pair of the timberland pro ones unless anyone tells me not to

I hate those gloves!!! Too thick and they turn your hands black when it rains.

prusik loops. Ive got one decent sized one, Justin sent me some cord, it's black and hivis yellow striped. is this suitable? if not i'll have to get two new ones

Sounds like a bit of classic regate. That'll be fine.

And something in the assessment spec talks about redirects, so i wonder if a couple of webbing slings with maillons might be appropriate?

maillions? get more karabiners. They've got more uses and you won't need to take a spanner up the tree!!!