inspection/ report advice?

chris cnc

got a call today from a local estate agent who wants to me to come have a look at a tree at one of their properties.

15m English elm (?)

5 meters from house

has been regularly pruned back for the last 10 years.

basically the guy who is buying the house, is concerned that it might fall over so he wants it checked out. he also needs a written report (to show his lenders) detailing the health of the tree and any recommendations for works.

no pics as of yet as i am going to have a first look at it tomorrow.

basically i need advice on:

how to price a "report" (by the hour? per page? :confused1:) ?

any terms and conditions/ disclaimers you would recommend putting in the report?

thats all i can think of at the moment, at least til I've looked at the tree.

thanks guys :001_smile:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got a call today from a local estate agent who wants to me to come have a look at a tree at one of their properties.

15m English elm (?)

5 meters from house

has been regularly pruned back for the last 10 years.

basically the guy who is buying the house, is concerned that it might fall over so he wants it checked out. he also needs a written report (to show his lenders) detailing the health of the tree and any recommendations for works.

no pics as of yet as i am going to have a first look at it tomorrow.

basically i need advice on:

how to price a "report" (by the hour? per page? :confused1:) ?

any terms and conditions/ disclaimers you would recommend putting in the report?

thats all i can think of at the moment, at least til I've looked at the tree.

thanks guys :001_smile:

Its a minefield. Sure you will get loads of different opinions on here, but personally i'd give the work to an arb consultant.

Dont know what qualifications you have mate, if you are qualified, feel free to ignore my pointless rambling.

You'll need to make sure you've got adequate Professional Indemnity cover before offering advice of this kind- essentially you'd be liable if the tree were to fail on the house if you'd advised that it was "safe".

Most providers of PI ask to see evidence of your qualifications and some history before offering you a price for cover (well, mine did).

Might be more bother than it's worth unless this is an area of work you want to move into.

Agree with what's already been advised, we live in a very litigious society these days, get a consultant in whose suitably qualified, save yourself the possible ramifications down the line.:thumbup1:Just make sure he refers any work back to you:thumbup:

Edited by Ian H

Get a clear (written) remit for the report.

If the lenders (insurers) are asking for a report it’s a pretty safe bet they will have potential subsidence loses in mind.

thanks for the replies. i don't have professional indemnity so i wont be going ahead with the report.

its just that we did units on surveys and inspections on single and groups of trees at college, including inspections of mature trees involving climbing etc etc.

i assumed that because i learned to do inspections as part of my course, means i am now "qualified" to do it?

im clearly wrong and it sounds like a lot of bother to be fair.

Get friendly with a consultant near you (one that doesn't do tree work as well if possible) and recomend him for this type of work and he should in turn recomend you to carry out the work that he advises. As long as you are properly qualified and insured, no consultant would be ahppy to recoemend someone unless they are up tp scratch, but if you can get a good working relationship going then it could be a good for both parties.