Groundie wanted !!! Asap

Johny Walker

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not 1920 anymore Mick.

I know but why start talking about money before you've shown what you're actually capable of.

Imo you should go in on a days trial, prove what you think you're worth then talk money at the end of it.

I've had far to many blokes say "I can do this and I can do that and I want x amount per day" but when it comes to the crunch they can't do half of what they say and tbh it gets right up my nose so from now on I tell em what I think they're worth at the end of the day and if they dont like it then tough, bugger off!!!

I know but why start talking about money before you've shown what you're actually capable of.

Imo you should go in on a days trial, prove what you think you're worth then talk money at the end of it.

I've had far to many blokes say "I can do this and I can do that and I want x amount per day" but when it comes to the crunch they can't do half of what they say and tbh it gets right up my nose so from now on I tell em what I think they're worth at the end of the day and if they dont like it then tough, bugger off!!!

Straight to the point as usual Mick.:thumbup1:

To be honest I think its a difficult one. Nobody wants to ask 'how much will I be paid' but at the end of the day thats the only reason most of us work, so its a pretty important point. I see what you mean Mick, but you have got your style (grumpy old sod) for hiring people, and others do it differently. Its pretty hard for a bloke looking for work, to not annoy someone on here, whichever way he plays it.

but you have got your style (grumpy old sod) for hiring people,

I never used to be like that, once upon a time I would agree on a price over the phone then take the bloke on only to find out he could talk a good job but could'nt actually live up to it. So no more deals like that for me I'm afraid. Sometimes I'd find someone that could actually do what they said they could do and was great for a week or two then wavered. My wife used to say "Ere we go, another new broom sweeps clean for a week or two"....:laugh1:

I have four freelancers on my books these days, blokes that I know can do the job. The rest can come work on a trial day only and if they aint good enough they can sling their hook and take what I think they've been worth to me.

I never used to be like that, once upon a time I would agree on a price over the phone then take the bloke on only to find out he could talk a good job but could'nt actually live up to it. So no more deals like that for me I'm afraid. Sometimes I'd find someone that could actually do what they said they could do and was great for a week or two then wavered. My wife used to say "Ere we go, another new broom sweeps clean for a week or two"....:laugh1:

I have four freelancers on my books these days, blokes that I know can do the job. The rest can come work on a trial day only and if they aint good enough they can sling their hook and take what I think they've been worth to me.

Completely see what you are saying mate. Suppose at the end of the day it doesn't matter when they ask about money, as long as they graft and deserve what they expect to get.

Pay people an honest days money for an honest days work, who could argue with that.:thumbup1:

The trial could last 2 week and I'm sure the employer would be able to tell if the guy (or girl) was any good

I've employed people on six month trials before now. there are loads of ways for employers to see if you are any good before they commit themselves.

I've employed people on six month trials before now. there are loads of ways for employers to see if you are any good before they commit themselves.

Its Impossible to tell what a bloke is like from a day as you and Mick have pointed out.

A bloke could work his breasts off all day and you would think 'wow he is good' but then the next day he could be knacker because of it.

Plus after a month his personal situation might of changed there for he may want more monney and if you cant afford/dont think he is worth it then he could be a right pain about it.

A 6 month trial is the way forward for an Employee but for a subbie a week I thnk is enough:001_smile:

Yeah that's absolutely true but I think you missed the fact it was me who asked how much first? Me. I kick ass. I can climb trees all day long and if u really want I can saw some branches off aswell. Or I could shuffle my feet around on the ground using my hernia as an excuse for not dragging brash or humping logs. Haha