To Charge or not to Charge?

Raywood

IMO you cant decide to charge retrospectively. You made a mistake and you have to pay for it. Dont forget to learn from it though. Equally, dont think because you have done it she will be a better customer and you can just add money on to other bills to cover it. That might be the deal as you see it in your head, but she doesn't know that. You will be setting yourself up for disappointment if you think she owes you one.

What I would have done is to tell her, when she asked me to accompany her, that whilst i'm there I will have to charge as it would be keeping me from other jobs. I would however try to soften the blow by explaining that I would charge less than my normal rate as it wouldn't be costing me anything in materials or tool use.

I would have also explained that as 'trade' if we found what we liked in the garden centre, I would get them for her at a local nursery, using my trade discount to cover the expense of having me advise her. Everyones a winner:thumbup1:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol::lol:

hollands... did you clarify before or after you were charging full rate??

I think that's the crux... if it's set out before hand then fair enough, but you cannot charge in hindsight..

Cheers for all the replys lads.

I'm just gonna suck it up this time and take it as a lesson learned.

They are a good customer to me and in thinking, I would be foolish to attempt to add a charge to their invoice at the end of the month.

Though I will now add on a few extra ££ to the invoices over the following months.

Are 50 year old ladies hot?? I dunno . .