Big 'Ammer

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The answer is....

It was full of what smelt like very strong weedkiller and oil or diesel and rainwater.

Closer investigation revealed it to be man made by repeatedly drilling it out.

It looked like a woodpecker hole, but the tree was quite sound, no dead wood or rot.

This is what they did to the rest of it

Totally ring barked and riddled full of copper nails.

597655fab2109_ResizeofIMGP0322.JPG.79df3616b9fcc9ebfe9cb3f88eed8fb2.JPG

597655faae5d6_ResizeofRotationofIMGP0323.JPG.d72b2b29448a743ea6c852da4b0c55c8.JPG

Also, shouldn't the copper nails and drilled hole go below the ring bark to kill off the rootstock?

I mean, if you were going to be a complete oxygen-theiving moron and turn a tree into a huge danger to residents by attempting to kill it, at least do it correctly.

Good on you taking it down though. Do us a favour and plant a lovely ash tree there :001_rolleyes:

Edited by Ben90

What on earth did they think they were going to achieve. Did they not realise the tree wouldn't just melt away quietly. That couldve been dangerous in a few years. I hope you slapped them all in the face with a large adjustable spanner. Haha.

Real shame.

The tree belonged to a really nice old gentleman who died just before christmas.

He liked the tree a lot.

His neighbours less so.

It was one of my first jobs as a climber to crown lift and dead wood it.

Every few years he would have a bit of reduction and lifting, whatever, to keep the peace, and keep his tree.

Me and five other people I have worked with have been up that tree at some point in time.

His house is on the market and persons unknown have broken in to the garden and vandalised the tree.

His family asked us to take it down, it doesn't look good to potential buyers and they also didn't want reminding every time they looked at it that people had been into their Dad's garden.

Very sad. :thumbdown: