Idea for making chainsawmilling easier...

Rob D

I dont really want to drill my ladder, but my thoughts of a design are along those lines.

Whenever I've milled anything, I've just got a few little bits of metal long enough to reach over the rungs of the ladder. Drill two holes in them and whack a load in, a few rungs apart and off you go. You just need a few long screws. Cheap as chips. I'm sure I've got some rubbish pictures somewhere!!!:thumbup1:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont see the problem with screwing/ nailing into the timber. For those of you saying it is useable wood, then i think you are a bit mis-guided...the slabwood is waste anyway, as is poor quality and very sappy esp with oak.

I dont see the problem with screwing/ nailing into the timber. For those of you saying it is useable wood, then i think you are a bit mis-guided...the slabwood is waste anyway, as is poor quality and very sappy esp with oak.

I thinks it more about using the ladder on subsequent cuts. I know I struggle guiding the mill off and making a clean job of it.

I thinks it more about using the ladder on subsequent cuts. I know I struggle guiding the mill off and making a clean job of it.

Maybe I'm being thick here, But once you've put the first cut in using a ladder, you don't need to put another on it, You just got off the previous one. Or am I missing the point?:confused1:

Sure Tom, but some people find the end of the cut can sometimes have a "drop" in it when the first bar of the mill goes over the end of the plank. Using a ladder each cut helps prevent this "drop".

I dont bother, but i'm still a beginner so perhaps theres room for improvement:blushing:

Sure Tom, but some people find the end of the cut can sometimes have a "drop" in it when the first bar of the mill goes over the end of the plank. Using a ladder each cut helps prevent this "drop".

I dont bother, but i'm still a beginner so perhaps theres room for improvement:blushing:

I'm with you now mate!! I wasn't sure and thought that there was something I was missing!! haha!! I've not done a great deal of milling and normally just get impatient and rush it!!:thumbup:

I've managed to get over this dropping off at the end.

As you reach the end of the log and the front rail is just about to go over change hand position off the upright handle and push down hard on the back box section back rail.

As the mill travels through the last stages of the cut it keeps level and makes sure it comes square off the log.

Works a treat!

:thumbup: