So you think you're a grafter.

Frank

i wonder how much a "topper" got paid back then

Interesting question. My tutor told me about these 'toppers' or 'spurmen'. It's not really a fact of 'how much' they were paid, it's more a question of 'how long'.

Their job is so dangerous that an average spurman would only live to top out about 7 trees, many died before they could reach that number; so if they were still alive after their 7th redwood topping, they'd be taken out of the woodland and given a cosy retirement and/or they'd continue working for the lumber yard on a much safer position.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question. My tutor told me about these 'toppers' or 'spurmen'. It's not really a fact of 'how much' they were paid, it's more a question of 'how long'.

Their job is so dangerous that an average spurman would only live to top out about 7 trees, many died before they could reach that number; so if they were still alive after their 7th redwood topping, they'd be taken out of the woodland and given a cosy retirement and/or they'd continue working for the lumber yard on a much safer position.

You sure??

Doesn't really fit with the things I've read or heard about the working mans lot of yesteryear.

This should be sent to all those lads I've worked with who make out they do the hardest job in the world and it makes them hard as nails.... these guys look nails, the real deal... I bet they did'nt live to retirement... that type of graft puts years on ya...

That topping out was just scary. Swinging a super axe that close to the strop holding you in the tree is just crazy. Not to mention the 'penciling' going on. We have to so much easier and safer. Truely fantastic bit of footage.

I know Oregon did a calander with all the old day logging photos on it. Try searching ebay.

You sure??

Doesn't really fit with the things I've read or heard about the working mans lot of yesteryear.

Probably not back then, that kind of job puts hair on your eyeballs, I'd love to have the build and drive for a job like that. I believe they introduced the 7-tops thing a bit later, when chainsaws were around and people started listening to H&S.

Nice video , Does anyone know of any books or magazines that have old redwood felling pictures in them ? The ones with the fellers themselves in them standing by the trees, tried looking on the net but cant find much.

Thanks

This book is great.It has some of the most impressive pictures of Logging operations I have seen.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/This-Was-Logging-Ralph-Andrews/dp/0887400353]Amazon.com: This Was Logging (9780887400353): Ralph W. Andrews: Books[/ame]

Sorry mate but thats Bollocks.

The High Climbers were the highest paid in the Bush after the Crew Boss.

They Topped the Spar is what ever direction it was leaning,their biggest danger was Rot Pockets in the Spar.They would "sound" the Tree using their Axe on the way up,if it sounded dodgy they would choose another one.

The Trees were topped to provide a high point for cable logging (yarder) operations.Either to be a main spar with the Steam winch below it,or as a Tail Spar with the Skyline or High lead system to provide lift at the end of a setting.

Topping back line Spars still goes on today.Although all yarders have Steel poles mounted to them to provide lift on the front line.Sometimes you run out of lift at the back,so the Skyline is now normally run through a Block hanging from a Spar and terminated attached to a Stump.The Tailrope block is also attached to the Spar,some distance below the Skyline.

How do I know this?I rigged Spars for a cable logging outfit for a couple of years.

Here are some pictures from the couple of years I spent cable logging.

This was my first climbing,rigging back line spars when we had to use them.

The pictures are digital photos or actual pictures.Some day I will get round to scanning them.I have some pictures of me greasing the Tail rope blocks.I can't find them right now.We used to pull about 500 ton of Timber per day.Depending on the terrain.one of the pictures shows Trees stacked up against a cliff face,we used to attach the choakers on the top,another guy would step cut the tree where is had speared into the ground,then we would back pull the trees to snap them off.

Glad I don't have to do that anymore.

The old bloke was the bosses father in law.He was in his 70's and still logging.In one crew,we had three generations,Grand father,dad and son.It was a demanding but rewarding job.14 hour days shift work at 3000 ft above sea level in 35deg plus some days.

597655f9e9d7c_Cablelogging004.JPG.a83ed1ae9f0251ba4d0a5e01f93b4089.JPG

597655f9e5aa3_Cablelogging003.JPG.b15d0f83548aa9ce21119209e8a3bdda.JPG

597655f9e0d43_Cablelogging007.JPG.28aff2eeff50d7d55a8b346bde4648eb.JPG

597655f9dca54_Cablelogging005.JPG.6f9ac2554a1b2bf131250819752094d4.JPG

597655f9d853f_Cablelogging001.JPG.d6ac164038714d72004e6ff7be04fb5e.JPG

597655f9d4175_Cablelogging006.JPG.b3309a743162cf90a2384e2e72ba7afd.JPG

597655f9cf260_Cablelogging002.JPG.495317760a307c5a96e1d5a681d159b7.JPG

Edited by Mike Hill