baz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would process your logs in batches, deliver the immediate orders and bag the rest of the days production in vented bags.

I would consider getting an old transit tipper for the same money as an Ifor, which will safely carry 2 m3 fairly flat and stable. Put a divider across the center of the load if you want to tip off individual 1 m3 loads at a time. Transit is nippy and easy to reverse into tight driveways.

I would buy one years supply of timber in advance and have it stacked in your yard. After the first year, it is cyclic and you'll always have seasoned roundwood available to process. Don't worry if you have too much timber, you can adjust next years advance order according to current stocks.

Don't don't don't don't don't ever deliver wet logs. Your business depends on your reputation and quality of product. :thumbup1:

Seems to me that with the sheer volume of these threads this year there may well be more people selling logs than buying them.:thumbdown:

I agree that every man with a chainsaw and trailer seems to be seeing logs as a good thing to do. Customer service is lacking as is a consistent quantity and quality of logs supplied by the same person. So, I'm going into it eyes open and with high principles borne from decades in business with a quality first ethos. I'd much rather not supply than sell crap. Without exception, my local suppliers are more than content to supply crap and inconsistent quantities of crap. I've had 10 2m2 (very nominal) deliveries in one year from 5 different suppliers. I've had waterlogged wood, green wood, a whole batch of willow (cricket bat offcuts) and the scrapings off the floor with almost as much dirt as wood. All dumped, grab the cash and run. Imagine consistent, clean and dry wood with a stacking service. Firewood heaven, there has to be a market for that.

[quote name=Arran Woodfuels;286726

I would consider getting an old transit tipper for the same money as an Ifor' date=' which will safely carry 2 m3 fairly flat and stable. Put a divider across the center of the load if you want to tip off individual 1 m3 loads at a time. Transit is nippy and easy to reverse into tight driveways.:[/quote]

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm looking at bulk vented bags but will then need a telehandler also to move them around. I have started looking for a telehandler but it has to be at the right price and there aren't many good ones around under £10k at the moment.

I will start with the tipper trailer option and if things take off then the transit or sprinter tipper would make a sensible purchse. Big advantage of the trailer option for starters is it doesn't depreciate, need an MOT, tax or insurance beyond theft cover and I have a pick up truck for towing up to 3T loads.

Edited by baz

the trailer option for starters is it doesn't depreciate

Neither does a £1,000 Transit for that matter :laugh1:

£10,000 telehander? What's wrong with a £3,500 David Brown 990 with loader.

If you are serious about starting on a tight budget, forget about image and cool machinery, that comes later......

Neither does a £1,000 Transit for that matter :laugh1:

£10,000 telehander? What's wrong with a £3,500 David Brown 990 with loader.

If you are serious about starting on a tight budget, forget about image and cool machinery, that comes later......

I've already got one vintage tractor, not quite from the David Brown era but close, a nearly 30 year old Ford 4100. That will busy driving the processor so I do need a second vehicle with forks to move things around. A telehandler will allow for double or possible triple height stacking of bags. Depends on the stability of pallets on bagged wood. Has anyone regularly triple stacked safely, I've seen a few examples of double stacking? My barn has a 30 foot rising to 45 foot roof space so height isn't a problem and it's use will allow me to maximise upon the use of space available to store processed wood.

I wouldn't really have much use for a second tractor on my farm but a telehandler opens up all sort of possibilities, including painting the eves which is a scary thing that I do every 10 years from ladders. Standing in a large grain bucket and being raised up as an alternative means of getting there is quite appealing. We move a lot of round bails in the winter also and the 2 wheel drive tractor does struggle at times on damp terrain. I think I'm talking myself into a telehandler - moving wood around being only one reason.

My barn has a 30 foot rising to 45 foot roof space so height isn't a problem and it's use will allow me to maximise upon the use of space available to store processed wood.

I am going to be building a barn for firewood this year and I have been considering potato crates for stacking to utilise the height.