Brushcutter blades news!

TimberCutterDartmoor

you could say "metal brush cutting accessories fitted to petrol driven brush cutters can fail catastrophically in-service. There is a risk of death or serious injury to operators and others in vicinity from ejected metal components" of ANY metal brush cutting accessories.

looking at the photos on the HSE site you can see the 1 remaining end link is almost worn threw and the 1 on the other end is missing.

given that is is not a problem with design but of the operator using something that was worn out and should have had its chains replaced which would be no different it using a badly worn brush cutting head of any design be it single or multi part.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to say a big thanks for putting me onto the mulching blades, brought a 3 tooth and a 2 tooth bade the other week. Had a job today clearing a large walled garden with large patches of 7ft high brambles. Started off with the 3 tooth blade on my big Kawasaki, was very impressed so much better than the standard blades. Found it a little heavy after a while and the usual vibs from the machine. So put the 2 tooth blade on my fs220, found no real difference in performance once it was up to speed. Finally went over it with my great Dane gateway mower to leave a level finish. Predicted 2 days work but only got a couple of hours in the morning tidying the edges and having a small fire. Went to take some pics but batteries were flat doh.

By far and away the most effective brushcutter attachment i have seen was an italian st up similar to the brogio, but used old chainsaw chain turned inside out- cutting with the drivelinks- and it was brilliant. A friend has used them for a few years in Italy with no problems. Yet to find a source in the UK tho.

sorry to tell you this tom but the hse have banned these as well:001_smile:

The 3rd pic swinging-blade in my original post has done little thus far but on grass and soft weeds it was thoroughly unispiring... 3 point mulcher is probably the clear winner methinks...

I would agree there tried may different blades and lines over the years, like the blade line. But mulching blades win has down.

I think you would now be rather silly now to use ANY brush cutter blade that is NOT made by the manufacturer of the specific brush cutter given the HSE say

Action required:

Users

Any brush cutters fitted with chain flail or similar non-standard attachments should be taken out of service immediately and the attachments removed and replaced with the manufacturer's approved accessory.

After all ANY manufacturer's is not going to approve ANY non-standard attachments made by a 3rd party given they the manufacturer of the specific brush cutter have NO control over production standards or quality etc thus ANY brush cutter should ONLY use attachments made by the brush cutter manufacturer and NOT ones made by ANY 3rd party.

I think you would now be rather silly now to use ANY brush cutter blade that is NOT made by the manufacturer of the specific brush cutter given the HSE say

After all ANY manufacturer's is not going to approve ANY non-standard attachments made by a 3rd party given they the manufacturer of the specific brush cutter have NO control over production standards or quality etc thus ANY brush cutter should ONLY use attachments made by the brush cutter manufacturer and NOT ones made by ANY 3rd party.

This though is just tooo far. For instance, that stuffs all of Oregons cutting attachments. Solid blades are safe in my experience and possibly overall safer than twine on veg due to cleaner cutting action. Where metal is pivoted on a head the dangers are inherently higher. At this rate though, we would be banning hedge-flails, forestry mulchers and all sorts and nothing would get done. My mother in law is in the risk-averse club, not letting her daughters ride bikes when youngsters and such like. Barely an arbtalker would exist if we all adopted that approach.

Anyway, this thread is about blade / head cutting performance in the field not H&S...