First pole climb and others

Frankie Lawrence

Had a grand day today nothing to back bracking deadwooding a few oaks then down the woods to clear next to a river so was given lots of oppertunities to climb.

Done my first pole climbs aswell as I just said on another thread was crapping it massively.

Nothing to exciting just full of young cop ho and want to tell everyone about my climbing etc im sure you all remeber that day.

DSCF0121.jpg.95c2b365cb864adb80f87bc477b100f1.jpg

DSCF0120.jpg.d82834c341477ad20c2e505b73aa794f.jpg

DSCF0112.jpg.6f83c9e18442c038405226f1d151adb9.jpg

DSCF0111.jpg.3299491ff66257f9baa00884ac033c83.jpg

You need to put your climbing line around the pole as well. Get it nice and tight to the stem below the WP strop.

Ditto that. (As in don't ever do that again mate)

choker main line round pole below strop all the way up and all the way down.

The worst that can happen then is you get chinned if you slip, but you wont fall.

Other than that its normal to be scared at first, lean back and trust your strop, don't hug the pole (not that you were), It'll feel more comfortable after a while, and you'll get to like it as you get more confident. Don't knock the tops out too big at first, and same chogging down, not too big at first.

Yep running bowline around the stem below your work strop and you can even put the fig8 in for your decent later. Smaller bits is a good point. Just remember don't panic!

Is that a skylotec harness i spot too?

Never considered a running bowline. Not a bad idea that, cheers. :biggrin:

Yep running bowline around the stem below your work strop and you can even put the fig8 in for your decent later. Smaller bits is a good point. Just remember don't panic!

Is that a skylotec harness i spot too?

Aye that is a skylotec finding it good can be a bit uncomfortable round the hips but think thats' wearing in'

On to your other comments I was never taught that on the day thought it was a bit wierd but didnt think it was to important??? Im not sure. The tree's itself was being felled it was just over a river and needed winching back it could of had a been done with a throw line but everyone thought it was a great opportunity for me to practice.

So the advice from everyone is to put a running bolwline round the tree and keep pruski and spliced eye contacted to the karabiner?

thanks for positive critisism:thumbup1: