Climbing line verus chipper?

MOG

Yo, so this is just saying what ur climbing lines around chippers. as we all know too well its so easy just to get caught on a twig and start feeding into the chipper while you are up the tree shouting ****.

So what happened to me today! rushed job trying to finish in time, doing few climbs( little crown lifting over drive way) so took my harness of and put in gear bag and put rope on top gear bag. tucked to left hand side of the hopper feed behind, some how. the rope got caught with the branch AND BOOM the in a flash couldnt believe how fast, full 50m brand new blue tongue, hitchclimber and 2 bineers= two ****** blades and one happy boss and one less wage matt;p

anyways the moral of the story is, put it full away and always keep and eye out dont learn the hard way. not looking forward to my meeting with boss man tomz, only 3rd week too.

nearly 6yrs experiance, never happened before.

GUTTED

I saw this happen 20 years ago when I was working in Ealing with Gifford Tree Service.....

damn near pulled the climber out of the tree, and buckled out the sides of the old Dosko chipper, there was so much rope inside.

Climber was not very happy either!

20 months ago, I had just started gaffing up a cedar removal. Lifeline attached to side of belt, not yet installed overhead. Chipper too close to tree, rope in bag near it, my back to chipper. When it was drawn in, I was pulled upside down and backwards, with my left foot solidly gaffed in. Twisted my knee, damaged the MCL a bit, tibial plateau fractures....etc. Had two MRI's, and finally had minor surgery just 10 weeks ago.

I knew I had to brace myself against my steel core flipline, and wait for the Blaze rope to come really tight, so that it would break off...which it did, but not before I was violently wrenched, as described above.

It was very careless of my groundies, but myself as well, for putting the rope bag where I did.

I saw this happen 20 years ago when I was working in Ealing with Gifford Tree Service.....

damn near pulled the climber out of the tree, and buckled out the sides of the old Dosko chipper, there was so much rope inside.

Climber was not very happy either!

When we where on advanced steve put my climbing rope thought the chipper in kingston

Had something similar happen a few years ago. New groundy picked up my rope with a bunch of branches and put it straight through the chipper and walked away. Luckily one of the other guys spotted it and hit the kill switch before I was pulled out of the tree. Was that lads last day working with us, when the boss found out. Once I'd calmed down thought maybe he had been a bit hard on the lad, but pretty sure he won't make that mistake again.

Heard a story similar to these the climber luckily saw his rope going through and the slack started to be taken off had his pocket knive with him quickly straped in with lanyard and had to cut a rope and then had to be rescued. Aparantley climber let rip on the groundie and kciked him phisicaly off site.

Ive never actually met some who would be stupid enough to do that without being to modest Im always wacthing for things like that always eyes on climber and thinking about what I'm doing and if I was climbing I know I could trust the groundies I work with.

Gutted, I bet, but you'll never do it again, will you?

I never keep any of my gear close to the chipper and constantly keep an eye on my life line when climbing. So many times groundies walk off with brash as my rope is entangled in it, you have to make this aware to ground staff or they will never learn. If I'm on the ground I always try and keep the rope away from the drop zone, usually close to the tree trunk.

A big Homer style "Doh" to you, :biggrin: