Hi

Grizzly

grizzly, firstly welcome to the forum and secondly you're the same age as me and i've only just started to get into the climbing side of arb and i'm starting to get reasonably comfortable with it but i need to lose a couple of inches to do myself justice

Welcome to the forum mate!

Sorry to hear about your hard times,maybe look at your current situation and ask yourself "how much is this going to matter in five years time?"

Being laid off could be the best thing to have happened as its pushing you in the direction you want to head in.

hi Grizzly welcome, I would'nt let your age/weight become an issue, I'm coming back into tree work at 45 and def not as light as i used to be:blushing: and I'm certainly not gonna let it be a detterent.

Reckon it's worth getting tickets these days though if only for the reason that it makes you far more employable if that's the way you end up going.

Make good use of the info on here buddy it'll make your journey far more enjoyable.

Good luck:thumbup:

The chap I did my training through sorted it all out for me but I'll have a gander in my paper work tomorrow and sort out some numbers for you to ring. Don't worry about your age, if you're willing to graft like hell you'll have no probs.

Cheers for that mate:thumbup1:

grizzly, firstly welcome to the forum and secondly you're the same age as me and i've only just started to get into the climbing side of arb and i'm starting to get reasonably comfortable with it but i need to lose a couple of inches to do myself justice

So there could be hope for me yet!!

Sorry to hear about your hard times,maybe look at your current situation and ask yourself "how much is this going to matter in five years time?"

Being laid off could be the best thing to have happened as its pushing you in the direction you want to head in.

That's the way I'm looking at it mate. What's done is done, there's no point dwelling on it, it's not going to achieve anything. I spoke to the head gardener and also the business accounts manager this morning to try get some answers. I was assured that it was nothing personal and my standard of work was in no way under any scrutiny, it was just a loss of contracts from the north that basically forced their hand. The company have been struggling with one of their clients for a while now and yesterday they received an email terminating about £30-40,000 of work with immediate effect. Due to that, they had to look at trying to recoupe some cashflow and, as I was self employed as opposed to being on salary like the others I was costing them more pro rata. So there we go, nothing personal, purely business.

Reckon it's worth getting tickets these days though if only for the reason that it makes you far more employable if that's the way you end up going.

Good luck:thumbup:

Yeah that's my thinking also. I'll get looking into it, they're not bloody cheap though so if there is some sort of funding available it would be a great help.

Hello bud, try sending an email asking about the funding to [email protected], I think that's where all my forms came from. Also the chap I did my training with is Andrew Morton, he's a nice fella and I'm sure he'll be happy to give you some advice. As i say, he sorted out all the paper work for me because he said it saves time, so i can't really tell you about that bit. As your business is gardening I'm sure you'll have no worries saying that you need to get your chainsaw tickets. I was a plasterer so I had to change my business name from plastering to Construction to justify the use of saws for clearing land to build on. I'll PM you Andrews number, not sure if I'm allowed to put other peoples numbers on here!?

greetings grizzly,

I fully agree with you. Climbing is not the be-all-and-end-all. I know loads of folks, really good tree men, who just arn't interested in climbing. I would swap working with a 3rd rate climber for a 1st rate groundsman anyday.

Go full steam ahead to get your CS30 and 31 chainsaw units (saw maintenance, cutting and basic tree felling).

Keep your ears open for a climbing get together (they seem to happen on arbtalk from time to time). If you like climbing go for "CS38" which is basic tree climbing and aerial rescue, but remember, you don't need to become some high flying speed climber, having cs38 will open up loads of door for you to work alongside other climbers, as they need to have a qualified rescuer on site.

If you can get training funding it will save you a packet, but remember, it won't nessessarily cover equipment required, travel expences, and worst of all, loss of earnings whilst you are on the course.

Best of luck, and keep you eyes / ears open.

the chap I did my training with is Andrew Morton, he's a nice fella and I'm sure he'll be happy to give you some advice.

I've left Andrew a message but in the meantime I've been in touch with Julie Hamilton of Lantra Landskills who was a little unsure regards funding as I was not actually working at the minute. However, she gave me the number of very helpfull chap, Carrick Armer of Yorwoods. He told me that because I was self employed I was actually elligable to receive about 70% funding. They offer quite a few trainig courses but recommended that I go for my CS 30/31 as a start then, if I wish, I can always progress from there.

He's going to email me all the details of training and any information he feels I might find useful.:thumbup: