Would you call it topping? Redwood

mdvaden

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cable bracing only admits there is a problem, you are only slowing the failure down.

cabling is only going to go against you in court if you failed to reduce the load at the same time. cabling does admit a fault, but reducing the load and cabling is the right way to go from a liability point of view.

I don't think that cabling would be viewed any differently than pruning in the eyes of the law. Doesn't specifying/undertaking remedial pruning works admit the presence of a fault? Both seek to mitigate the liklihood of failure - just in different ways. As you say Hama, a combination is preferrable but I'd say that was in terms of preventing a failure rather than dodging liability.

I don't think that cabling would be viewed any differently than pruning in the eyes of the law. Doesn't specifying/undertaking remedial pruning works admit the presence of a fault? Both seek to mitigate the liklihood of failure - just in different ways. As you say Hama, a combination is preferrable but I'd say that was in terms of preventing a failure rather than dodging liability.

Check it out Tony!:001_smile:

Its the nature of this fault, see if it was a single cable to a twin stem, the claimants expert may claim "that one had not taken into acount the barn door or side loading potential" and hence by reducing the lever arm you relieve that argument.:001_smile:

Indeed, my rather dull point was a general one and not really aimed at Mario's dilemma. You're quite right of course, a single cable prevents the included union from bursting open from incremental growth and gravity but not from a side load. :)

There look, I've agreed with you - it happens to everyone once! :D

IME, pruning is a way of sorting some sort of failure or hazard as pruning out a dead branch or section mitigates the hazard as you remove it, but bracing the same section would be pointless, as you know it will come down at some point, so why hold it up there when it can just be brought down and forgotten about

IME, pruning is a way of sorting some sort of failure or hazard as pruning out a dead branch or section mitigates the hazard as you remove it, but bracing the same section would be pointless, as you know it will come down at some point, so why hold it up there when it can just be brought down and forgotten about

Just making sure we are following the context that eventual cabling won't be added above the damage to a weakened remnant, but below it on the main leaders, after the damage remnant is cut off the top of one stem.

codominant_redwd2.jpg.fe844b2e0d407c28cfb73c17e3909a61.jpg

Just making sure we are following the context that eventual cabling won't be added above the damage to a weakened remnant, but below it on the main leaders, after the damage remnant is cut off the top of one stem.

Thats about the best move you can make as far as i am concernd, the other (unpruned) leader should then dominate and take over.