Which chain..

J.D

Right folks,

I'm having a bit of a mare with a chain for my MS180, The bar is 470mm, chain is 400 and serial is 1130 011 3023, does that make sense ?

What is the part number I'm after for the chain, I ordered one from Jonesie's

shop and it was the wrong size, too short it was, I'm sure i gave the lad the right info.

Cheers

J.D

Thats a big bar for a 180...

Stihl only list up to a 14inch bar for that saw and jonesie stocks a 16 inch, but yours is 18 inch if you go by the 470 mm measurement.

Are you sure it that long? Measure the length with it on the saw, you only need to measure the bit that sticks out to give you the size not the entire bar.

That part number is not for the chain either, whats it on?

Thats a big bar for a 180...

Stihl only list up to a 14inch bar for that saw and jonesie stocks a 16 inch, but yours is 18 inch if you go by the 470 mm measurement.

Are you sure it that long? Measure the length with it on the saw, you only need to measure the bit that sticks out to give you the size not the entire bar.

That part number is not for the chain either, whats it on?

I think that number is on the chainsaw itself, but I can't confirm it as I dont have it to hand, I measured the chain stretched out flat on a bench, ooops.:blushing:

So much for cs30' date=' in one ear and out the other..... :001_rolleyes:[/quote']

I was going to say.... do you have cs30 j.d? Or anything equivalent? If you dont then i dont think you should buy a new chain until you do. Sounds harsh but im sure others would agree.

But if your really struggling, take the old chain into your nearest dealer and ask them to match it.

I was going to say.... do you have cs30 j.d? Or anything equivalent? If you dont then i dont think you should buy a new chain until you do. Sounds harsh but im sure others would agree.

But if your really struggling, take the old chain into your nearest dealer and ask them to match it.

I'm taking cs30 etc in May, this is just for my own use in the yard mate, we get a firm in at present to do any paid work etc.

I'm taking cs30 etc in May, this is just for my own use in the yard mate, we get a firm in at present to do any paid work etc.

If its for your own non-commercial use and you have had no training, please accept my apologies if I have come across a bit heavy handed.

As others have said, count the drive links on the old chain or read the relevent info thats stamped on the bar.

Well done for taking steps to get trained, this sort of thing is one of the first things covered on the course.

And take care in the mean time. :001_cool:

If its for your own non-commercial use and you have had no training' date=' please accept my apologies if I have come across a bit heavy handed.

As others have said, count the drive links on the old chain or read the relevent info thats stamped on the bar.

Well done for taking steps to get trained, this sort of thing is one of the first things covered on the course.

And take care in the mean time. :001_cool:[/quote']

Cheers, Its for cutting up logs we have taken from jobs that we subbied out.( is that personal, we burn them in the shed and at home ? )

I will have a look at the chain in the morning and get 1 ordered up from Jones'.

Thanks for all the replies men.