Pricing upto 150 trees!!!

scott995

I have just started my own business its small just me and a groundsman. I got this email of a customer!

hi, just for a starter, could you give me a guide, just a guide to how much it would cost to pollard upto 150 trees varying in size from 15 to 25m tall.?

access to large vehicle if required.

just an idea for now please. possible ongoing programme for future maintenance on the same.

I have got to go meet her next week. I have only been doing residential work so for me to price this up i have not got a clue so need advice!!

Should I charge a day rate at less than what I normally charge which is 330 or price per tree. This could be really good for my business to make it a lot bigger and I really could do with some advice...

I wouldnt go cheaper unless there is something in it for you, ie can you do the work as and when to fit in around your other work. Dont go cheap to secure lots of work and then get halfway through and wish you had never started it, and if they want it done all at once you will have to neglect your other clients to finish it.

just an idea for now please. possible ongoing programme for future maintenance on the same.[/b]

QUOTE]

this raises my alarm bells straight away, she knows if you can get a big lift in it could be done easier and cheaper, she must of been told this by others before.

And secondly the future ongoing work is a dangling carrot, just to put you in your place and let you know she is expecting a good price since she has told you there MIGHT be future work.

Why has she called you? the new guy, probably because she has tried everyone else.

It is easy to feel excited about this job, you will rehearse all the diferent reasons to give her so many diferent costs, but i reckon the common denominator is you making it cheaper and cheaper for the WHAT IF!

The simple answer is how much for one tree then times it by 150. If she puts you on a 10 year maintenance contract with a breakdown of how much she is going to pay you every year, then this is a diferent ball game, but this wont happen mate.

I know this will sound really brutal, but going on the e-mail you got, i would say if you win the contract you wont earn much money out of it!

As others have said, price it to make a nice amount, and dont cut yourself short.

There are no guarantees of the big future contract!

I have just started my own business its small just me and a groundsman. I got this email of a customer!

hi, just for a starter, could you give me a guide, just a guide to how much it would cost to pollard upto 150 trees varying in size from 15 to 25m tall.?

just an idea for now please. possible ongoing programme for future maintenance on the same.

I have got to go meet her next week. I have only been doing residential work so for me to price this up i have not got a clue so need advice!!

Should I charge a day rate at less than what I normally charge which is 330 or price per tree. This could be really good for my business to make it a lot bigger and I really could do with some advice...

Be 100% you will make lots of money out it, dont even think of going in at 20% gross etc, you need 50%+, if it costs you £120 per tree you want £180, no ifs, no buts, dont risk it. You will have a lot less over heads etc than bigger companies and so will be competitive if you work out your costs first. If they are all in a row and can do them all at once, hire in 3 "haines" to do cutting and get it all on the ground before any clearing up, and then come back once all is down with a clear up team you will make a lot more money that way.

Becareful with this one as it could break you if it goes wrong. If I was in you position I'd probably get another larger contractor in to take a look and see if you can work this one together. Or simply get him to price/bill direct and just take a finders commission.

Over the years we have worked and formed associations with both smaller and larger companies - if you are starting out don't be afraid to form these type of relationships as in situations like this a larger companies knowledge and partnering may mean you make a few quid and take little risk.

Often things that seem to good to be true are simply that.!