Air spade, good, bad or indifferent? some market research!

I’ll pay double what he offers! :001_tt2:

You toad! mr hancock!:laugh1::001_rolleyes:

This is going to get expensive! im a poor student dont forget!

John on a serious note, ive seen some work done in america on very very sick trees with loads of die back, airspaded out soil worked and re invigourated bit of compaost tea a mulch blanket and this tree was unrecognisable 18 months later!

the old air spade is definatley a way forward as far as Im concerned, no brainer. In time this is going to be just another one of those regular services, no question.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You toad! mr hancock!:laugh1::001_rolleyes:

This is going to get expensive! im a poor student dont forget!

John on a serious note, ive seen some work done in america on very very sick trees with loads of die back, airspaded out soil worked and re invigourated bit of compaost tea a mulch blanket and this tree was unrecognisable 18 months later!

the old air spade is definatley a way forward as far as Im concerned, no brainer. In time this is going to be just another one of those regular services, no question.

You've sold me mate, I've got a few grand kicking about - how about a National Network?

You've sold me mate, I've got a few grand kicking about - how about a National Network?

How about i sell you your first airspade! LOL

on a serious note I think lees after losing one of his at the mo, you should give him a shout maybe?

Jon theres another TEP roots soil event i think its going to be novemberish, if your thinking of going down this route (pun intended no apologies!) these seminars are really well worth going to.:thumbup:

We radial trenched 16 H-Chestnuts that all had bleeding canker, mixed in some well rotted mulch etc. They had been given a year before being removed, 13 are still there and looking fantastic, really rejuvinated.

[ATTACH]33797[/ATTACH]

Good stuff and thanks for the post, airspades are definatley the way to go for me i think, that and surveys.

its the decompaction and fungi investigation that reall gets me juicy! lol

but the mulching etc too, seems we can really turn a situation of ill health around in MOST cases.:thumbup1:

Coupla a quickies on 'air spades' for your info!

Glynn Percival (Bartletts) is very positive about them as the most effective means of soil decompaction and, according to 'essentailArb' believes they may have some 'cultural effect' on Honey Fungus as aprt of root collar excavations.

Secondly we (the AA) have sponsored research being undertaken by AAIS about the effects of air-spading on tree health and an introductory article will be in the Summer Newsletter.

Cheers..

Paul

Out of interest, for soil aeration and remediation do people prefer an air-spade over a terravent?

As an ex owner/user of both instruments the terravent should be IMO relegated to the cupboard or museum.

Just to let you know a Czech company is having a pop at recreating a terravent style system that adds plenty of extras and takes away all the negatives, should be interesting !