defender's

cordwood

just poped out to do a twenty min job clearing some timber from earlier in the week, took 2hrs as i managed to get my 130 stuck!

thinking that i might need to upgrade to mud terrains when these tyres need replacing (but they are only 5months old!)

moral of the story never under estimate wet grass, i feel in many cases that mud terrains would actually do less damage to the ground, as my all terrains have smeared the mud up really badly, where as MT's would just drive through it.

anyway guys enjoy your landy's

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think pre traction control, defenders should have come with rear diff lock as standard.

That said, my amazon is permanent 4 wheel drive, it then has centre diff lock and a rear diff lock.

I was the same, on wet grass, slight uphill with road tyres. It started slipping, so I engaged centre diff, no change. I then engaged rear diff aswell, still no change.

Wet muddy grass calls for mud terrains but if you do slip with MT's then they do make a proper mess :scared:

Slight diversion (I've got one of those foreign Isuzu things). Same issue, wet grass over wet clay on a slight side slope coming out of a wood, 2 1/2 hrs and a load of mess later we had got the 12 ft to safety. Went back with these on, a breeze. Three runs with a trailer for firewood and no problems

sahara.jpg.9d1342cbc3c0c6c5830b15f4441e23cb.jpg

Perhaps it is just southerners that find him grumpy :wave:

Who you calling a southerner? :wave:

All in all though he was good to deal with - I never disputed that - I'd go back to him for another one!

Insa Turbos are a good tyre but being a remould they don't last like a BFG - I'd rather pay the £500 for BFGs but get lots of miles out of them than go through 2 or three pairs of remoulds @ £250 -£300 but that's just my thoughts.

Think it's the weight of a loaded 130 that helps scrubs them off though - we have insa turbo rangers (BFG a/t pattern) on the jimny and they're fine.

on the 130 theme though, Sadly mine's going up for sale soon - since I've stopped contracting and my firewood supply is drying up I don't think I can justify running it anymore :cry: Probably going to end up with another Discovery or maybe a 4.2 landcruiser VX

• 2 weeks later...
What a cowboy, you could have taken the ladders out before you buried them in chip.

They were pinning back a tarp at the hiab end to stop chip getting in to the hiab controls and mounting point, 2nd bulk head to be fabbed this week when I get a spare couple of hours. It's a work in progress at the minute, working well but tweeks needed