Waste Transfer Licence

bareroots

Even though I have a wcl I think its fool hardy to tell private clients about it and/or to slag off competitors.

The last thing we want is cleints thinking we are licensed to take away their waste! I get out of removing stump grindings cos they are not recyclable, and I don't take garden waste cos its waste! So the last thing I need is clients knowing anything about wcl.

Thats part of the paradox of having it in the first place. Non of us want to be a waste removal service, we should be paid for tree work not haulage. We can recycle the arisings so thats good for us, and if that adds to profit then even better. SO we have a license for something we don't want to do? Does not make sense.

I only have it to keep the LA happy. If I get pulled I'll be fine but at the same time I'd happilly try and talk my way out of it if I didn't have the wcl.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH I cant see the EA changing their minds since it really depends on what we do with the arisings that determines whether its waste or not. I cant see them giving special permission to all tree companies in the hope they will recycle and not landfill etc.

But a landfill site should ask for a WCL if you are tipping there:confused1:

Even though I have a wcl I think its fool hardy to tell private clients about it and/or to slag off competitors.

I thought if anyone would recognise sarcasm it would be U!!:001_smile:

I have never slagged any other companies off to potential customers or any type of customer in fact, I dont go down that road unlike some unfortunately.:thumbdown:

But a landfill site should ask for a WCL if you are tipping there:confused1:

Well you could still landfill by using skips(you would prob need a broker license) or taking it back to your yard and storing it until a waste company removed it etc.

Also if you have no signs on your truck you could sneak it into the domestic section!

And scrap isn't "waste" either. It has value and is therefore goods in the eyes of those collecting it. I doubt the EA would agree though.

No they wont agree since you need a license to take scrap cars to a recycling place.

Anyway I think I'm just confusing things tbh so I will leave it to the grown ups to sort out.

:001_smile:

And scrap isn't "waste" either. It has value and is therefore goods in the eyes of those collecting it. I doubt the EA would agree though.

But scrap is waste, it is covered in a PVC coating in the case of copper or carries CFC's in the case of refrigerators, there are lots of scrap that have contaminants such as cars with oils, plastics and foams and has to be processesd very carefully.

I would otherwise agree though, scrap in it's pure form is obviously not waste and the EA would not be able to prosecute someone for carrying say a load of clean bright copper for example

Yes I didn't think anyone was actually slagging anyone else off but my point is that it should be the best kept secret in the industry, so don't ever mention you have it to anyone ever, or else its "can you take the pile of garden rubbish" etc etc.

Play the "I only take recyclable materials" card. it wins everytime.

We are saving the planet after all! (Thers your sarcasm!)

"In the eyes of those collecting it" is what I said. Its gold to them.

Whatever its classed as is irrelavant, I guess most scrap collectors don't have a wcl, yet we are supposed to for woodchip and logs which a far less like waste than old cars and stuff.

Dean, I'm with you. We shouldn't have the wcl. Except that I do have one.