quoteing tiny jobs

testcricket01

why was it £50?. was it because thats all you would pay to have it done or did you work it out to be that cost?

cause it was so small thats all id pay to have something like that done, its going to be liturally 3 or 4 cuts 20mins start to clear up. i phoned up my mate he has his well established company he said well jobs like that id price at 100quid he said you cant get alot for cheaper than that these days. so took his advice.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a customer locally who would call me up for little pruning jobs as and when she needed - the sort of little jobs that took longer to put the kit on/ off the van than to actually do.

so i'd charge her a tenner here a fiver there.

my thinking was that i'd get a call for the larger potential jobs she had on her plot when she was ready to carry them out...

then one hectic over stretched day i had a call from her and was too busy to answer - so phoned her when i got back home that evening -

the response was oh sorry dear when you didnt answer your phone i called someone else and they came straight round an did the job there and then.

havent heard from her again.

two lessons i learnt - answer the phone!:blushing:

and secondly dont assume customer loyalty because you think youve done them a favour by being nice.

whatever deal you do mate on any job, make sure you are not the only one that knows the deal, if you think to yourself i will do this cheap and i will get the nieghbours and friends work then make a deal with the customers that thats the rules, if not, if you do someone a favour or a mental deal, and pass one day and all the other trees in the street are done and even the ones in the person you worked for garden, you will be bitter. You are the person you are from the experiences you have had, if some of these experiences include a marketing degree and human psychology then carry on, if not make a pricing guide and stick to it, ask your customers some questions about the job before you leave the house, ask them to email you a pic of the tree, explain there is a minimum price on ANY job, this sorts out the time wasters and dreamers from the good customers, this isnt ripping anyone off this is running a business mate. Sit down and work out just now what that job will have cost you to do, from fuel to insurance to wear and tear on chains, chippers, tyres the lot and how much you want to make profit.

I'm a tiny outfit, and would do a £50 job and not worry about my costs.

There again I don't buy every shiny thing going, spend £500 on a lowering kit, then moan about my overheads.

It depends on your outlay, you can afford to do it, if you got nothing else to do that day. If your'e heavily invested in kit and people, you should leave it to us little guys who can afford to offer an affordable price.

whatever deal you do mate on any job, make sure you are not the only one that knows the deal, if you think to yourself i will do this cheap and i will get the nieghbours and friends work then make a deal with the customers that thats the rules, if not, if you do someone a favour or a mental deal, and pass one day and all the other trees in the street are done and even the ones in the person you worked for garden, you will be bitter. You are the person you are from the experiences you have had, if some of these experiences include a marketing degree and human psychology then carry on, if not make a pricing guide and stick to it, ask your customers some questions about the job before you leave the house, ask them to email you a pic of the tree, explain there is a minimum price on ANY job, this sorts out the time wasters and dreamers from the good customers, this isnt ripping anyone off this is running a business mate. Sit down and work out just now what that job will have cost you to do, from fuel to insurance to wear and tear on chains, chippers, tyres the lot and how much you want to make profit.

have got my guide for day and half day. just confused me abit when i was quoteing for this cause was so small i done no why they didnt do it them selfs, you couldnt put half day on it. i should make a tiny profit out of this one long as nothing goes wrong.

good idea with getting rid of time wasters when they call up though :thumbup1:

have herd of people getting biten in the ass quoteing from pictures though.