Footlocking

Steve Bullman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said before, I never footlocked before....I use the old taut-line hitch and thrust method....a guy that was just hired was showing me how he foot locks. I have no idea why he ties one end of his line off to an anchoring point. Thats why I was wondering how to use the technique w/o tying the line to an anchor point. I take it, by some of the posts, that it is possible.

I've been climbing for 19yrs, it's taking it's toll on the body:bawling:....if this method is easier on the body I'd like to give it a try.

Why tie off to another tree? I thought that was more for srt and mechanical devices?

Most footlockers i've worked with footlock a doubled line for simplicity.

And why do you need to untie it can't you leave it in position till your finished, again most climbers I work with do this as it makes a great access line.

Why don't you just pull it over the branch and drop it to the floor then untie it when your down if you must.

just curious is all, i know nothing about footlocking other than what I see.

Marc,

I have no clue.....I never footlocked before either....my work just hired this young-buck and he was showing me how he footlocks....he says it's much easier than the thrust method....which I can understand cause ur legs r doing most of the work.

Footlocking is one thing i need to learn to do. I know how to just i find the rope always slips, besides i normally spike all my trees, make sure i get a few ugly gaff marks and everything:proud:.

I do use my pantin from time to time. my boss is after one too.

Jamie

Marc,

I have no clue.....I never footlocked before either....my work just hired this young-buck and he was showing me how he footlocks....he says it's much easier than the thrust method....which I can understand cause ur legs r doing most of the work.

I think footlocking is good, but there are other ways, I was thinking off trying srt using mechanical methods, but I need to research it further. When i'm at the Capel Arb show this year i'm going to look into it.

Footlocking is one thing i need to learn to do. I know how to just i find the rope always slips, besides i normally spike all my trees, make sure i get a few ugly gaff marks and everything:proud:.

I do use my pantin from time to time. my boss is after one too.

Jamie

You spike none TDs:scared: