4x4 Canter UK

scotspine1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i run fat tyres! as do all the leccy board rovers around here. I find I they are great off road and are also better for stability when running loaded on the road, I can corner very hard if I want to not that I do all often. My works truck has puny narrows tyres they are awfull, but its horses for courses and no two people will chhose the same!

I use BF Goodrich which in my humble oppinion are the best offroad tyre manufacturer but thats nother can of worms!

I see the logic pecon, but why dont bulldozers uses skinny tracks then?

err they do, if in a rock quarry tracked vehicles will use narrow tracks, if in normal mixed ground they will use standard tracks or if on soft ground they will use a wide Undercarriage with LPG tracks (the latter wide Undercarriage can normally take the other 3 or 4 track shoe widths)

Duel wheels are a waste of time off road, this is proven beyond all doubt if you use logic, ALL off-road 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 trucks witch have a high off-road bias ALL use single wide tyres rather than duels, this is because if you use duels and the wheels sink in the ground the inner pair of wheels generate extra resistance as they have to form there own rut rather than following in the rut made by the leading axel/s, thus a truck with duels has more than twice the resistance to moving threw wheel ruts than a truck with wide single tyres.

Also on ridged duel wheel trucks because the front axel uses the same tyres as the rear but with a moderately higher proportional loading it is normally the front axle that sinks.

The width of tyre depends on the ground beneath the surface, if it is bottomless bog then a wide tyre is best, if it is a layer of mud with hard ground 4” beneath then narrower tyres that will cut threw is best.

Fat tyres are terrible on clay soiled grass or in a woodland on the black sludge under the leaf litter.

But they are good when driving over a customers lawn:icon14:

Fat tyres have their place, so do narrow.

What size tyres do you run on your 130?

Duel wheels are a waste of time off road, this is proven beyond all doubt if you use logic, ALL off-road 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 trucks witch have a high off-road bias ALL use single wide tyres rather than duels, this is because if you use duels and the wheels sink in the ground the inner pair of wheels generate extra resistance as they have to form there own rut rather than following in the rut made by the leading axel/s, thus a truck with duels has more than twice the resistance to moving threw wheel ruts than a truck with wide single tyres.

Also on ridged duel wheel trucks because the front axel uses the same tyres as the rear but with a moderately higher proportional loading it is normally the front axle that sinks.

The width of tyre depends on the ground beneath the surface, if it is bottomless bog then a wide tyre is best, if it is a layer of mud with hard ground 4” beneath then narrower tyres that will cut threw is best.

I tend to agree but someone needs to tell Mercedes Benz! there are a fleet of Sprinter based Mewps around here with twin BFG Muds on the back! Its not good offroad

Tyre pressure makes a huge difference to off road performance.Low pressures make for better flotation and far better self cleaning,downside is possability of unseating and clag creaping into the tyre/rim.

On the road, speed/load rating comes into play.A tyre that is too soft will overheat at speed and delaminate.

The best way is an on the move inflation system as used by all serious off roaders.

B.F.G.s used tubeless are the canines testes.Another part of the Michelin stable!:icon14: