Pollarding a Veteran

MAX

evening! has anyone work with veterans?

i looked at a VERY very old, healthy oak pollard with historical importance to be re-pollarded. The re-growth is really old it's self.

Whats right,

Pollard in one hit

Pollard in stage

thanks

should have taken photo. Typical old knarlie looking type though!

]Photo's will be good......Does it definately need pollarding? Or can it not just be reduced. If its as old as you make out then pollard should be done in stages for sure....and even that could be risky to the trees health

More info on tree, location, health of tree and photo's will definately help

yeah it's getting too heavy for its old legs so pollarding would be just the ticket imo. has internal growth, looks supple, just don't know whether to do it in one go, never done a veteran before.

I worked on the Lydham oak in the mid-eighties and started the process with a light reduction on some of the heavier limbs. Re-pollarding this tree would have ended in tears I think. Unfortunately the old owner died so I don't know if any more work was carried out.

Lost my pics of the tree. This one must date from the forties I guess. The girth of her now is about 41'.

lydham2.jpg.88d3772d0dfa81f4a6d9ec6a8ee742e3.jpg

some pictures would be great ,, why do you feel that Re-pollarding is required?? is it that the trees location and targets require it to be reduced / pollarded ???? personally if i could fence the area off i would leave the tree naturally grow down , this was something i learnt jrom Jack Kenyon and Ted Green whilst at merrist wood , from Teds reserch with other experts he had be able to prove that vetran oaks are more likely to go on for much longer without the intervention of us tree surgeons

evening! has anyone work with veterans?

i looked at a VERY very old, healthy oak pollard with historical importance to be re-pollarded. The re-growth is really old it's self.

Whats right,

Pollard in one hit

Pollard in stage

thanks

Whatever happens.....given the points highlighted above I think you should get somebody with more experience than yourself to have a good look at this tree.....in order to work out a management programme for it.:thumbup1: