First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

Those 4-6 men first aid kits that cover your arse legaly are totaly inadequate for arbs, I think this new first aid kit is essential for us and the potential nature of our injuries.

I also think our first aid certs legal reqiurment is poor, the crew supervisor (on ground) IMO should have a high level of first aid/injury treatment knowledge avaliable to him.

We are at high risk, and we need to take this rescue first aid to a new level.

I agree. I have a 5-50 first aid kit in the truck and there are normally 2 of us! I've also added a couple of packs of Celox some blood stopper dressings, twizors, eye wash and a good pair of scissors as well. There is also a blanket and some cling film (for penertrating chest wounds) in the truck as well. I'm luck as the guy i work with at the weekends at least use to be a paramedic.

I'm going to do one of these courses when i have the funds looks very good. Got some good press in Shooting Times. Its worked out on how far an Ambulance is away.

7MST - 7 Medical Support Team

First Aid in the field | Shooting times

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No we are not at high risk! We risk manage everything and by following safe working procedures we should be able to reduce risk to a minimum. Thats what all the training and risk assessments etc are for.

Those that are at high risk throuhg lack of training etc are unlikly to ever have a first aid kit anyway.

In an urban environment, a mobile phone and an ambulance will sort anything serious out. A standard first aid kit, and maybe some extra blood stopping stuff is all that is required to keep a casualty comfortable until the ambulance arrives.

Anything that suggests that our industry is so high risk so as to make the normal first aid at work regulations no longer apply, is very dodgy ground IMO. We don't want to put our industry on that kind of pedestal, if it were then the HSE would close us down anyway.

Rupe do you believe the current first aider training cert that is legaly required fills you with confidence?

Are you "happy" with the current legal first aid kits? or do you like me make additions to it?

and do you feel that current rescue recomendations and requirments are satisfactory? or do you think we need to have some paper trail for "practice evidence every six months as a minimum?

Put it another way........

Would you feel safe in the knowledge that when your bleeding to death your mate on site will actualy be able to save your life?

or will he panic, and break down in tears knowin his incompetance at not being able to find the right item in a half empty box will kill you?

i looked at the arbaid kit at the AAshow last year with my boss, who said it wasnt worth it. Now our arb supplier has told him its a good kit to have, so hes ordered several!!

as far as im concerend, yes our industry can be a dangorous place, if risks are managed proper, then injury risk should be small. but even when an injury occures it can still be life threatening.

just be prepared.

The most important first-aid equipment (in addition to a mobile phone) by far, is a tourniquet that allows you to stop arterial bleeding.

If you work alone, or you are climbing, you need to be able to quickly apply the turniquet one-handed (typically using the right hand) to your arm or leg. The typical first-aid kits do not contain anything proper, and I suggest always carrying a specialized turniquet on you. You need to be able to put a lot of pressure on an arm or a leg to stop an arterial bleeding, so a velcro-only turniquet jyst won't do it. And since you typically are in a hurry, any DIY trick using a freshly cut branch and a piece of your T-shirt isn't something to be relied on, either.

Several turniquets have been designed for use by the armed forces. They are compact, designed for one-handed application, and can apply sufficent pressure to stop an arterial bleeding. they can be had for as little as £15, and can save your life.

Here is a video showing the application of the CAT turniquet:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ncAxc5-Nn4[/ame]

For more info, search Google for "CAT Tourniquet" or see these links:

Special Forces Kit Supplies Store

CAT Tourniquet- SAS RM SBS on eBay (end time 07-Apr-10 16:36:15 BST)

SOFTT Special Operations Forces Tactical Tourniquet - SP Services (UK) Ltd

Edited by morten

That really should be all you need and the tournequet can be improvised

And how exactly do you improvise a turniquet hanging 50 ft above the ground with a serious arterial bleeding from your left arm?

YOU DON'T!

When we injure ourselves we have a very short window of oportunity to address our needs, adrenalin is a wonderful thing, at least if we have the right stuff, and the right training and the practice to keep it logged in the grey matter when the time comes, and the adrenalin kicks in we can and will be able to alter the odds in our favours.

Sure risk assesment and avaiodance is the best policy, but at the end of the day it is going to happen to us, one of us, some of us at some stage.

What i am trying to achieve from a personal level is a situation where as i progress as an arb I put myself in a level of knowledge and ability and have the gear to hand to not only give the guys I end up supervising/managing but also myself the confidence and skills needed to actualy save lives or at the very least give the guys a fighting chance till the ambulance arrives.

I personaly dont feel we take this seriously enough, fullfilling minimum legal requirments as an obligation is just not enough in my mind, maybe im being melodramatic and as i get older, having an increased sense of my own mortality, but one thing is certain, when i do come to be a crew leader/manager, the guys who work under me will be well looked after because I will always take thier saftey seriously.

I think I have found my controversial subject, thanks guys.